Duplex printing. No dialog window on the HP LaserJet 1020 (3231 Views)
Honor Student
exlib
Message 1 of 4 (3,231 Views)

Duplex printing. No dialog window on the HP LaserJet 1020

[ Edited ]

I'm running WinXP Pro, but I think it doesn't matter so much, because I've used duplex printing on it for a year without any problems. But now the dialog window, which must appear while using duplex printing is gone :smileyhappy:

When the Print on both sides instruction dialog window appears on the PC's monitor, follow the instructions, says the Duplexing Manual.

How to solve it, please help :robotsad:

Honor Student
exlib
Message 2 of 4 (3,198 Views)

Re: Duplex printing. No dialog window on the HP LaserJet 1020

Please, help. :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
DEMEnergy
Message 3 of 4 (3,063 Views)

Whomever answered this post did not answer exib's questions.

The reply was: 

When the Print on both sides instruction dialog window appears on the PC's monitor, follow the instructions, says the Duplexing Manual.

The link above just brings up instructions found in the manual. It does not address the NO DIALOGUE BOX question at all.  Gosh, I hate it when someone just tosses a script at people without checking out the issue at hand.  

All I know so far is that Windows Vista HP pops up an "Interactive Services" window on the task bar through which the dialogue box can be reached.  But this is a waste of time.  All of the blogs beat around the bush as well.  I wish there was someone out there who a) would read the question and respond to it and b) can help us solve this problem.

thanks.

Honor Student
DEMEnergy
Message 4 of 4 (3,053 Views)

Victory at last.  OK, in case there is anyone out there who still has this (and start up no start) problems.

1. Delete the HP 1020 printer software via the Printers box from Control Panel (Visa 32 bit OS).

To do this, right click on the HP 1020 printer image, open the box, click on delete to remove the old driver & printer. 

2. Go to HP 1020 site and find software downloads (words to that effect). 

3. Download most recent driver (it is a plug and play driver -- currently [2-2011] there are 3 choices, this one is on top)

4. Install this driver.  It will take a few minutes to complete

5. Plug in the printer and power up.

6 Once the dialogue box on the task bar says the printer is installed it's time to restart (if you look in the Printers Menu you probably won't find the printer. Don't panic yet)

7. Restart

8. Now look in the Printer Menu again. You 1020 should be there.

9. Test and good luck.

If this isn't the exact sequence for your computer, try a variation. The plug and play doesn't work on top of old software. Clear that old dog out and install the latest [Nov 2010 date] driver first, then plug in, then restart your computer. 

Too Bad HP didn't publish this "fix" or even explain it on its woebegotten website. You can't drag this stuff up with a search engine.  Next time you shop printers, tell the salesperson you deserve a big price break for putting up with all of this nonsense from HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation