Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My old 2750 had an "envelope" slot in the output tray to take single envelopes.  That was handy.  My brand new 8500 had no such "slot" and it appears I have to remove all paper in the tray to put a single envelope in!  That doesn't make sense to me, but I simply cannot find any "single envelope" slot anywhere!  Is there a way to print a single envelope with the officejet pro 8500 wireless without having to use the paper tray itself?

Thanks, 

DrBillS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I HAVE THE ANSWER WE ARE ALL LOOKING FOR!

If you're like me: I'm running Windows 7, using Microsoft Word 2007, and you have the Officejet Pro 8500.

I just spent the last hour on the phone with a very kind customer service Rep who tried to help me print borderless to an envelope. I am trying to mail merge, and include a printed return address in the top left corner and a printed presorted stamp in the right hand corner. Every time I would print it would create a margin on the left and right had side.

Initially she thought it was a software issue with Microsoft Word 2007, because in her version of Word 2003 she could print borderlessly. But I then created an envelope in Photoshop and tried printing borderless. Once again it would create a margin on both the left and right side that was just over 5/8" of an inch. In fact, the exact margin size is 0.6875".

Anyone else having the same problem? I'm sure you are.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IF YOU WANT TO PRINT BORDERLESS ON AN ENVELOPE:

1) Choose a new document in Word 2007 and choose blank "LETTER" doc (not envelope)

2) Set the left margin to: 0.1875 (yes that's small!)

3) Set the right margin to: 1.5

4) Set the top margin to: 2.1875

5) Also set the bottom margin to: 2.1875

6) Turn on the grid so you see your work area. 

The grid can be turned on under the "View" menu and then check the Gridlines checkbox. If you hold down the "alt" key you can move objects (like text boxes) without having them snap to the grid.

Create your envelope and then print. Essentially what you are doing is tricking your printer to think you are printing to a letter when in reality you are printing to a envelope. I need to print 1000 at a time so it was do-or-die seeing I just bought this printer and love how quickly it prints in color; especially on the draft feature.

GOOD LUCK!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

I have asked the same question.   I got the same answer as you have.  Nothing!  

I did get a suggestion to put the envelope on top of the paper in the tray and "try" that.  If you want a crooked label on your envelope, that will work.  

I could print labels and stick them on my envelope or I could hand write them.  Not really a good solution.

My old PSC 2110 could print a single envelope.  Why would you market this printer to small business and not have a way to print one envelope at a time?

Sorry for the rant, I am very disappointed with the lack of this feature.  

HP Recommended
This took a little time to figure out , Remove the paper and you should have a place to place your envelopes , it is not as convenient as your old printer with the separate slot but it works , using Word select Mailings and then envelopes and create your envelope template using the Envelope options then select the Printing Options and select the Feed method depending on the one you use you may have to select the Scale to Paper size in your Printer options , Hope this helps it worked for me and actually did a good job with out jamming any envelopes first time .
HP Recommended

T. Barnes:  Thanks, but I already knew that you have to empty the dern paper tray, put an envelope in the empty tray, move the paper guides to fit the envelope, then print the darn thing!  What a crock!  What a snafu!  Someone in the design department had a real brain fart when they forgot to accomodate a single envelope feed!

Thanks!

Sparty

HP Recommended

This Officejet Pro 8500 wireless is the first HP printer I've bought after numerous Epson & Canon printers which were easy to set up, had features like separate envelope feed and worked faultlessly (I know, I know, ... I went to buy another Canon and let the salesman talk me into this "great deal" on the HP!). I didn't even think to ask whether this device could print single envelopes, it's such a standard expectation. It's not possible that the designers 'forgot' this feature, it must have been a conscious decision by HP to leave out this function. The lack of an individual envelope feed is not my only complaint, ... I'm not a novice user but the scanner took hours to set up and still works sporadically, I can't get the wireless connection to work, ... I could go on. I'll never buy another HP.

HP Recommended

Interestingly, the last 2 printers we had from HP were excellent.

This however makes me laugh, as a small business we need to print our own envelopes, we will not be removing the paper every time we need to do this, so it looks like labels, oh shame on waste.

I cannot echo that we will not buy HP again but we will call this a stirke lets say.

Ceo

HP Recommended

Here's a cheat if you don't want to remove the paper every time to print an envelope, and here's how it works.

The width of an envelope X2 is 81/4". Fold two envelopes length-wise and tape them along the non-fold edges.  Center an envelope on a piece of 81/2 X 11 card stock as it would feed into the printer.  Snug the two folded envelopes against the centered envelope so that there is a 1/8" margin between the outside edge of the folded envelope and the edge of the card stock.  Glue the folded envelopes to the card stock in this position.  When the glue is dry, place this guide on top of the paper in the paper tray and place the envelope in position. Print your envelopes one at a time.  It's not a great solution but it beats buying another printer.

----------------------

|      |               |     |            fe = folded envelope

|      |               |     |

| fe  |  enve-   | fe|

|      |    lope   |     |

|      |               |     |

|      |               |     |

|      |               |     |

----------------------

Be sure to set number of copies to 1 or the template goes through the second time.

HP Recommended

you can purchase a second tray so one can hold envelopes and one can hold paper.

HP Recommended

I have to agree that not having an envelope feed slot is pretty odd for a printer that is positioned as a SOHO printer, but mine did come with the second paper tray on the bottom so I keep the top tray empty and set up for my envelopes and it works very well that way.

HP Recommended

I just do the same thing I did with my L7780...Slide the envelope in along the right side of the paper tray on top of the paper with the flap up and left.  I use Office Word to print my single envelopes, so it prints properly but the 8500 takes a sheet of paper along for the ride while printing the envelope...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.