Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hello:

I have a LaserJet M1522nf and am getting an error message stating "Install black cartridge", even though I have installed a new cartridge. I have tried 3 different new cartridges and still get the same error.

I am currently using this printer on a Windows Vista Home Basic computer.

The current cartridge I am trying is a LD Products CB436A.

This has been going on for months and we're using it as part of our office system. Each day this gets at me and I'm about to buy an alternate brand printer if I can't get this solved.

I greatly appreciate your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had the same "Install Black Cartridge" error, but the problem was slightly different. 

With no paper in the input tray, I had the same error, even after numerous power cycles.  Turned out there was a small piece of paper lodged in the feed roller right behind the input paper cavity (no removable tray, only a removable plastic outer shell).  After removing the foreign paper, and wiping the toner off the long black feed roller, the printer powered up normally and now prints fine.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I had this problem too - Here's what I found on the HP trouble-shooting/error message site.  The bold italics I added, that was my problem:

"Install black cartridge"       No cartridge installed with door closed.

If the paper tray has been overfilled, it can lift the toner cartridge up from its seated position, resulting in the cartridge not being detected by the MFP.

1. Remove the toner cartridge.
  2. Remove all paper from the bottom tray.
  3. Check for any paper jam and, if found, clear it.
  4. Power cycle the printer (turn it off and then back on).
  5. Reinstall the toner cartridge, being careful to make sure it is seated properly in the MFP.
  6. Reload paper in the bottom tray; be careful not to overfill the tray.
HP Recommended

I had the same "Install Black Cartridge" error, but the problem was slightly different. 

With no paper in the input tray, I had the same error, even after numerous power cycles.  Turned out there was a small piece of paper lodged in the feed roller right behind the input paper cavity (no removable tray, only a removable plastic outer shell).  After removing the foreign paper, and wiping the toner off the long black feed roller, the printer powered up normally and now prints fine.

HP Recommended

Thanks HpBillCary this worked great for  me thanks a lot .

HP Recommended

Don't you just love the Net?

And the fabulously helpful and knowledgeable members of this community?

Thanks to HPBillCary!

HP Recommended

@HpBillCary wrote:

Thanks a million times. We asked an "expert" who repairs HP and he said to Spit on the chip. So I found your reply and it WORKED!!!!!!

HP Recommended

OMG!!! Thank you... after trying 2 brand new cartridges; I finally caught a clue and googled the problem.

All is right in my office for the time being...thanks for sharing. :generic:

HP Recommended

Brilliant. Thank you very much. Was on the verge of ordering a costly new cartridge but decided to do one last search and found this solution.

Almost hidden somehow a receipt had gotten stuck in the feeder. Found and removed and printer is now printing better than it ever has.

HP Recommended

Thank you for this posting.  I was having the same problem others experience, tried what you suggested, and, WALLAH, the problem is fixed!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  Same solution worked too (thanks)

Well, almost the same problem. Turned out a 2 year old jammed a store rewards card in the paper tray and that got sucked in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.