06-06-2010 11:45 AM
While downloading the latest software for my Deskjet D1400 printer, I got the error message "printing in ink backup mode; cartridge on right not available for printing". ( I purposely left the black and white cartridge out because I just wanted to use what I had on hand (color) without having to go out and buy a black & white.) But this error message basically locked up my computer and I could not get it to go away. I finally had to just press the power button and turn my unit off because I couldn't even get restart to work. Is there any way to prevent this message from popping up and can't I use my printer with just one cartridge in it at the time? Thanks very much.
06-06-2010 03:13 PM
The message should be informational, pressing OK should allow printing to continue. The printer is designed to automatically use backup mode if one of the cartridges is missing.
Bob Headrick, HP Expert
I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.
If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V
If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V
- HP Connected - Finding Your Printer's Email Address in HP Connected
- HP Printers - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
- HP Connected - Getting the Printer Claim Code
- HP Printers - Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?
- HP Officejet and Photosmart All-in-One Printers - The Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) Does Not Pick Up Paper