Question

Student
jstallon
Message 1 of 7 (1,429 Views)
Accepted Solution

G85 Print Cartridges Won't Align

[ Edited ]

My G85 printer indicated that the black cartridge was low and needed to be replaced.  After inserting a new cartridge, the cartridges failed to align in spite of several attempts to complete the alignment process.  I removed and reinserted the black cartridge, but the alignment process still failed.  I removed and reinserted both the color and black cartridges, but that didn't yield positive results either. I reinserted the original black cartridge, again to no avail.   At this point, I've run out of things to try.

Is this a hardware failure and nothing short of having the printer serviced will work, or does someone have a suggestion that I might try before I give up?

John Stallone

[text removed for privacy]

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (1,359 Views)

Re: G85 Print Cartridges Won't Align

The automatic alignment process requires that both the color and black cartridges work properly.  If the alignment page is printing with both black and the color (yellow or cyan, I do not remember for this model) then it is possible that the alignment sensor is fogged. You may be able to resolve this by cleaning the underside of sensor with a cotton swab.  The sensor is a small black protrusion about 1/4" wide and 3/4" deep that is connected in the lower right side of the carriage near the back side.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
sarrahterry
Message 3 of 7 (1,351 Views)

My G85 has worked like a champ for several years.  Changed PCs from XP to Win7 and almost immediately got the alignment failure message after changing out both color and black cartridges with brand new HP replacements.  Is there some incompatibility related to Windows 7?   Thanks -

Honor Student
voyager06
Message 4 of 7 (369 Views)

could not find the sensor you were refering to. can you be more specific about its locations and description?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 7 (359 Views)

voyager06 wrote:
could not find the sensor you were refering to. can you be more specific about its locations and description?

The alignment sensor is attached to the carriage, the part that holds the cartridges.  It is about 1/4" wide, 1" deep and is mounted to the right side of the carriage at the bottom and near the back.  The material is black (like the carriage), it is mounted with a single screw in the side.  There is a clear plastic cover on the bottom side.  If you cannot find it post back here and I may be able to post a picture (from a Deskjet 970c, but the sensor should look the same).

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
Sun-Shine
Message 6 of 7 (70 Views)

alignment failed I tried cleaning the alignment sensor still not working

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 7 (67 Views)

Sun-Shine wrote:

alignment failed I tried cleaning the alignment sensor still not working

Do both the black and color scctions print properly?  If your color or black cartridge is not working properly the alignment will fail.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation