Question

Student
dave_cpsg
Message 1 of 51 (10,262 Views)

Garbled Printing (Multiple model types)

[ Edited ]

Occasionally, the documents printed are garbled text.  Upon a second try, they print fine.  Below is an image of a partial page.  As you can see, the formatting and layout of the text is correct.  However, the correct letters are not printing.

I have identified two printers that this has occured on:

HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One

HP Color LaserJet 2840 All-in-One

Both of the most current printer drives installed.  Any suggestions to prevent this from happening are greatly appreciated. 

Message Edited by dave_cpsg on 03-30-2009 03:55 PM
Master's Graduate
Miles
Message 2 of 51 (10,180 Views)

Re: Garbled Printing (Multiple model types)

Hello, Thanks for posting your question! I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a few questions that may help me figure this out.

• Each of the products you have listed have a few different drivers available, which driver are you using for each product? What happens when you use one of the other drivers?
  • What application are you printing from when this happens?
  • What OS are you running and how are you connected to the printers?
Miles
HP Employee
Student
KKidBlue
Message 3 of 51 (9,999 Views)

I experience simular problems with a C7250 All-in-one DeskJet. The problem occurs with both Vista and XP machines. Primarily it happens when I am printing PDFs generated by Google Docs, but I don't think it is limited to that. The printout has garbled text that is in roughly the same shape (paragraphs and white space) as the correct copy. Printing a second time usually corrects the problem.

XP and Vista drivers are up to date.

Tutor
smwschoon
Message 4 of 51 (9,993 Views)

Thank you for naming the printing problem.  My printer is wireless using microsoft XP home.  I've uninstalled, installed, added a new driver, updated, followed the instructions from tech support and nothing works.  I still get garbled printing.  Hope someone can find an answer.  Thank you again.
Tutor
Tweety72
Message 5 of 51 (9,731 Views)

I am constantly having the same problem with our HP Officejet Pro K5400 and Business Inkjet 1200. I've spent far too long on tech chats with HP support. NOTHING has helped. Even after the last Tech "guaranteed" the printing problem would be resolved. And, since our printers no longer qualify for phone support, I was told to "buy a new printer" then I could call support. I don't think I'll ever buy another HP printer.
Tutor
smwschoon
Message 6 of 51 (9,710 Views)

My printer was working fine until about February this year when the garbled printing started.  It just became a year old and of course the warranty is gone.  Tech chat was a waste of my time.  Surely with all the complaints about this problem they should be able to figure out why it prints garbled.   I will not buy or recommend HP again. 

Tutor
Tweety72
Message 7 of 51 (9,699 Views)

I am beginning to think it's a combined problem....HP and Microsoft.   Seems neither one has a surefire cure.........I've lost confidence in HP.
Student
fluffy
Message 8 of 51 (9,624 Views)

My printer (C4180) just started with the garbled printing - it had already been garbling the printing on the header and footer and I couldn't get any help with that so just overlooked it. However, I cannot overlook it now. Tried calling tech support and of course since I'm out of warranty they wanted to charge me. Sorry, won't go for that.  The printer is going to recycle tomorrow. I'll get another one, but it won't be HP, never again.
Tutor
smwschoon
Message 9 of 51 (9,623 Views)

You would think by now with all the chats over the garbled printing HP would look into it.  Someone in a previous email mentioned maybe something between Microsoft and HP.   That is a very good thought.  Today had to print a 28 page report that took 4 tries.  This to will be my last HP printer.  Anyone have suggestions for a really good all-in-one printer pass it on.
Tutor
Tweety72
Message 10 of 51 (9,111 Views)

I just purchased a NEW Officejet Pro 8000 and IT TOO PRINTS GARBLED DOCUMENTS.  Seems that no one at HP cares about their customers.  Maybe we should all switch to a different manufacturer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation