Grayscale versus Black Ink (11617 Views)
Honor Student
Dunelm
Message 1 of 6 (11,617 Views)
Accepted Solution

Grayscale versus Black Ink

I have a C4280 Photosmart printer. I want to make economical use of my ink cartridges when printing documents (as opposed to photographs). I generally use the fast draft option and greyscale for documents. Would I use less or more ink if I used fast draft with the black ink option?

Master's Graduate
skippyjohnson
Message 2 of 6 (11,610 Views)

Re: Grayscale versus Black Ink

I can't answer your question directly, but I found a good source of information that explains a little about ink usage.

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/articles/howInkIsUsed.html?cCode=us

You mentioned just the part about using different draft options.  This mentions that in passing, but explains some of the other ways ink is used.  If you're interested in prolonging your cartridges, I think this information is helpful.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Dunelm
Message 3 of 6 (11,606 Views)

Thank you for this. While, as you say,  it doesn't entirely answer my question I nevertheless found it helpful and interesting, particularly the section towards the end.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 6 (11,588 Views)

The most economical printing would be fast draft and black ink only.  The grayscale setting uses the color cartridge to print grayscale because this provides better quality.  The quality is better with grayscale but it will use more ink.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
Dunelm
Message 5 of 6 (11,584 Views)

Thanks for this, Mr Headrick.  This exactly answers my question. I don't know why it did not occur to me to ask it long before now!

Dr Nicholas Keegan

Top Student
junebost
Message 6 of 6 (9,394 Views)

Re printer settings:  does grayscale or black take more ink?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation