Question

Tutor
jwbrent
Message 1 of 12 (3,922 Views)

HP 2600N Alignment Problem

I have been using my Laserjet 2600N for several years without problems. I recently replaced the fuser assembly and everythng was fine. About a month later, the colors suddenly won't align vertically. The magenta, blue and yellow are printing about 1/16" apart down the page. They are aligned normally across the page. This happens even with the Demo page or reports printed from the printer control panel. No other software or hardware changes have been made.

I have tried repeatedly doing the recalibration but this does not help. 

Jim Brent

Jim Brent
Top Student
AmarjeetSingh
Message 2 of 12 (3,852 Views)

Re: HP 2600N Alignment Problem

Reset the printer to factory defaults and calibrate print cartriges

Tutor
jwbrent
Message 3 of 12 (3,846 Views)

I have done this multiple times and while it does not fix the problem, each time I reset the factory defaults, the amount and direction of the misalgnment changes.  Once it was almost right, then I recalibrated again and it went wrong again.  HP told me it was a hardware problem.  I suspect it will cost more to get it fixed than the printer is worth.

Jim Brent
Top Student
AmarjeetSingh
Message 4 of 12 (3,837 Views)

If you have another set of cartriges, replace them, reset the printer and callibrate. We had the same problem few days back, we did replaced the complete set, reset the printer and recallibrated and the problem sorted out. Hope this helps!
Tutor
jwbrent
Message 5 of 12 (3,834 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion.  The set I have has only been in about a month and a new set costs as much as a new printer.  The Formatter board is also $230+ everywhere I looked.  Unfortunately it is probably cheaper to use my 2600 N for B/W only than to try to fix it.  If I knew for sure one of these options would fix it, I would do it but if it doesn't work, I am just out another $2-300 and still have a broken printer.

Jim Brent
Top Student
AmarjeetSingh
Message 6 of 12 (3,827 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found some relevant information at the following link, which may be useful for troubleshooting : http://www.printer-repair.guidesonline.info/hp-color-laserjet-2600-image-ghosting-or-repeating-down-...

Pls take precautions before applying the mentioned solution as it contains links to firmware updates which may or not hamper functioning of the printer.

Tutor
jwbrent
Message 7 of 12 (3,819 Views)

Thanks, I already have the current versos of the DC controller firmware installed.  My problem is not ghosting but mis alignment between the colors and the black images.  The Magenta, Blue, Yellow and Black images are offset by about 1/16" down the page.  The horizontal alignment looks ok.

Jim Brent
Top Student
AmarjeetSingh
Message 8 of 12 (3,804 Views)

Jim,

Have you ever tried servicing the scanner assembly ? Could you possibly tell me about the color print quality(basically colors appear dull or bright) ?

Regards,

Tutor
jwbrent
Message 9 of 12 (3,800 Views)

I have not worked on the scanner assembly.  I did replace the fuser assembly about 2 months before my alignment problem began.  On my printer, the color depth looks normal, it is just the position of the colors that is out of alignment. 

Jim Brent
Top Student
AmarjeetSingh
Message 10 of 12 (3,798 Views)

I believe to have exhausted all my resources. I also understand that fuser assembly has no role to play with the alignment part. The last option I would suggest is to open and clean the scanner assembly. Though it is not a recommended solution but has worked for me recently.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation