Question

Top Student
mmcnel01
Message 1 of 9 (7,255 Views)

HP-2840 needs new drum (Q3964A) and I am told my printer will not work when I install a new drum

My HP2840 laser jet All-InOne has been telling me for 6 months that I need a new drum. I was waiting until I saw an issue with my print quality (which I never had a problem) and now my printer will not work unless I replace the drum.

A friend told me that even after installing a new OEM drum, that my printer will still not work unless I call HP and pay for them to tell me how to make it work.

Is that true?

I need help fast cause now my wife is really angry that I "broke" the printer!

Thanks in advance!

Top Student
mmcnel01
Message 2 of 9 (7,234 Views)

Re: HP-2840 needs new drum (Q3964A) and I am told my printer will not work when I install a new drum

Is there anyone maybe from HP who would answer my question??:smileyhappy:

Honor Student
blmeyer
Message 3 of 9 (7,210 Views)

Re: HP-2840 needs new drum (Q3964A) and I am told my printer will not work when I install a new drum

hello,

It sounds like the drum has been in the "low" state for 6 months and now is in the "out" state.  Have you tried installing a new drum? 

Top Student
mmcnel01
Message 4 of 9 (7,181 Views)

Thank you, blmeyer, for your response.

I have not purchased a new drum because they cost almost $200 and I was told by Office Depot that even if I installed one, HP would not allow me to activate it because I had let the drum run completely out.

If I knew for sure that all I had to do was install a new drum and that my printer would immediately be working again, I would order one today.

Thanks again!

Mike

Top Student
mmcnel01
Message 5 of 9 (7,180 Views)

As an add-on to my previous post...

I was told by a friend at Office Depot, that once my printer locked up, due to the drum, that I would have to call HP, and that since my printer is no longer in warranty, I would have to pay in order for the tech support person to tell me how to enable the new drum.

Hope this makes sense!

Top Student
mmcnel01
Message 6 of 9 (7,136 Views)

Is this an official HP forum?

If so, is there anyone from HP - maybe a moderator or someone, that will respond to my question?

Thank you!

Mike

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 9 (7,132 Views)

mmcnel01 wrote:

Is this an official HP forum?

If so, is there anyone from HP - maybe a moderator or someone, that will respond to my question?

This is a user to user forum and is not an official link to HP support.  I would suggest that you contact HP as shown here

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
mmcnel01
Message 8 of 9 (7,122 Views)

Thank you Bob!

Honor Student
blmeyer
Message 9 of 9 (7,108 Views)

Hi Mike,

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.    I work for HP and was the engineer responsible for the cartridge you are having questions about.  It sounds like you may have some bad information about this, sorry.

I know that HP will warranty any genuine supply until the end of it's stated life.  If you have any problems what so ever with the new Imaging Drum please let me know on this blog.  Installation  instructions for this Imaging Drum are  available in the user guide for the 2840 on HP.com.   I will monitor the blog for a month.

Regards,

Brent

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation