Question

Student
Immunofort
Message 1 of 12 (15,578 Views)

HP 56/57 Ink Cartridge Expiry date

I've got an HP 56/57 Inkcartridge combo set, and It says what I'm guessing is the expiry date

Jan 2010

Feb 2010

What do these dates actually mean? That the cartridge will stop working after that date, or is it just a recommended use by?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 12 (15,574 Views)

Re: HP 56/57 Ink Cartridge Expiry date

Immunofort wrote:

I've got an HP 56/57 Inkcartridge combo set, and It says what I'm guessing is the expiry date

Jan 2010

Feb 2010

What do these dates actually mean? That the cartridge will stop working after that date, or is it just a recommended use by?

The date on the package is the "install by" date, it is recommended that the cartridges are installed in the printer by then for best results. The "install by" date is six months before the end of warranty date.   The dates printed on the cartridge as shown here are the warranty expiration dates.  The 56/57 cartridge (as well as all HP cartridges with integrated printhead and ink supplies) do not "expire" in the sense that they have a check of the date, but cartridges that are very old or have been stored under adverse conditions are more prone to failure.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
virgodc
Message 3 of 12 (15,237 Views)

Hello,

I just recently bought  an HP 56 cartridge that was supposed to expire in 2011, but was shipped in just its foil wrapper and not in the box to reduce shipping costs. The cartridge that came has printed on the wrapper APR08. Can the APR08 date be the production date? Has HP made a change in how HP lists information on the wrapper package? Or has the  production date ever been on the foil wrapper?  Wouldn't a cartridge that has APR08 on the foil wrapper have had a box that said warranty ends 0CT08?  Are there cartridges that could have APR08 on the foil wrapper but have a 2011 expiration date? Earlier I had bought some refilled or remanufactured cartridges and found them to be inferior - they failed more often and sooner, had unclear type, or smudged more so I thought going back to a genuine new HP cartridge would be better. Thanks for any information on this issue.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 12 (15,216 Views)

I would be suspicious of a product that did not include the box "to save shipping costs".  Also, the warranty expiration date is two years from the date of manufacture.  The 56/57 cartridges can be used after the expiration date, it is only the warranty that expires. 

You can find the actual warranty expiration date for genuine HP cartridges printed on the cartridge as shown here.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Honor Student
virgodc
Message 5 of 12 (15,193 Views)

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your answer. I'd like to follow up with you with on this issue.

1. Would the HP 56 box have the same date  printed on it as the date written or engraved on the copper area of the cartridge? If so, would this be true for cartridges with 2008 engraved dates as well as 2009 and 2010? My seller said there was a change in policy in 2009.

2. Is the engraved date on the cartridge 6 months later than the foil wrapper date on cartridges engraved for 2008 as well as 2009 and 2010?

3. I think for practical common use purposes the date on the box is understood to be the expiration date when customers pick up a box off the shelf. That's why I am concerned when a seller sends a cartridge that has a foil wrapper date of APR08 and he says it expires in 2011 in his advertisement.  You mentioned that the manufactured date would be two years before the engraved or warranty date. Wouldn't a cartridge with a foil wrapper date of APR08 and an engraved date of OCT 2008 have been on the shelves in stores as early as OCT 2006 and most retailers have then removed the cartridges from shelves in late 2008 or early 2009 ?

Thanks again for your answers, Bob.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 12 (15,171 Views)

1. Older cartridges, such as yours, used to have the Install By date on the outer packaging, and the actual End Of Warranty date printed ON the cartridge itself. IIRC, for some newer cartridges, the outer package also has the EoW date and not the Install By date. But this doesn't apply for your cartridge.

2. Yes, the difference is 6 months. Usually, only the month and year is mentioned in the Install By date. The EoW date has month, day and year. This is a good way to identify EoW and Install by Date.

3. Not quite what you're asking here. It's unlikely that retailers have the cartridges for such a long time on the shelves. I assume that they'd either sell the cartridges by then, or return it back to HP if it's not sold for such a long time.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
mymelody177
Message 7 of 12 (15,091 Views)

I found some old HP56 ink cartridges, and am hoping they still will work.  There is a date stamped on the outside of the box of Oct 2006 along with "Puerto Rico".  What does this denote?  Will these cartridges still work?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 12 (15,073 Views)

The date on the box is the Install By date. The cartridge was manufactured April 2005. So the cartridge is almost 5 years old. It is possible that the ink inside might have dried. You could install it into the printer and see what happens. My guess is that the print quality will be terrible, or no ink might get printed at all, or worst case, the printer might reject the cartridge.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
ddavid9
Message 9 of 12 (13,854 Views)

I am a bit confused where the manufacturer date comes into play ? and where 24 month warranty from the manufacture date comes into play ?  Based on the following, aren't both claims from HP mute, irrelevant or not true ?

(1) I bought 3 cartridges: (although the date on the wrapper differs a bit, I'll discuss 1 cartridge only).

The date on the Wrapper says:  090406 and purchase date was 090822 (2009 Aug 22nd)

Hence Install-by date is 09 04 06 (2009 April 6th) plus 6 months thereafter the warranty would expire on 09 10 06 (2009 Oct 6th)  From purchase date Aug 22 to October 6th is less than 2 months of warranty; the actually Warranty is 1 month + 13 days of Warranty time,

and since a 3 pack isn't installed immediately, that would leave a Warranty period of 1mo 13 days for 1 Cartridge and NO Warranty at all for the remaining cartdriges.  Or a 2 Pack would have NO Warranty on the 2nd cartridge. Am I correct ?

I'm very concerned how HP is manilulating the Warranty because I had 1 cartridge go bad and am afraid to open the wrapper of the other 2 only to find out they may also be bad, because once one opens the wrapper its pretty much untold if used or not used by the consumer. Plus the consumer has no way of actually telling the Engraved Expiration Date unless he opens the Wrapper (to look at the engraved date on the cartridge itself).

The claim 2 years after manufacture sounds nice, or 6 months after install date is reasonable, if it was true. There needs to be a Disclosure on the packaging itself when the Warranty expires rather than on the hidden Wrapper within the packaging or the hidden Warranty expiration date behind the wrapper. Almost all, if not all products carry a warranty from the purchase date (on the invoice) this is most confusing ever encountered. And I don't know how to handle my problem because HP support asks for the Warranty expiration date on the Cartdrige which is not viewable.

BTW these cartridges where not just bought anywhere but a at reputable, well known Office Supply Store. Your advice is appreciated.

de

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 10 of 12 (13,829 Views)

[ Edited ]

ddavid9 wrote:

I am a bit confused where the manufacturer date comes into play ? and where 24 month warranty from the manufacture date comes into play ?  Based on the following, aren't both claims from HP mute, irrelevant or not true ?

(1) I bought 3 cartridges: (although the date on the wrapper differs a bit, I'll discuss 1 cartridge only).

The date on the Wrapper says:  090406 and purchase date was 090822 (2009 Aug 22nd)

Hence Install-by date is 09 04 06 (2009 April 6th) plus 6 months thereafter the warranty would expire on 09 10 06 (2009 Oct 6th)  From purchase date Aug 22 to October 6th is less than 2 months of warranty; the actually Warranty is 1 month + 13 days of Warranty time,

and since a 3 pack isn't installed immediately, that would leave a Warranty period of 1mo 13 days for 1 Cartridge and NO Warranty at all for the remaining cartridges.  Or a 2 Pack would have NO Warranty on the 2nd cartridge. Am I correct ?

I'm very concerned how HP is manilulating the Warranty because I had 1 cartridge go bad and am afraid to open the wrapper of the other 2 only to find out they may also be bad, because once one opens the wrapper its pretty much untold if used or not used by the consumer. Plus the consumer has no way of actually telling the Engraved Expiration Date unless he opens the Wrapper (to look at the engraved date on the cartridge itself).

The claim 2 years after manufacture sounds nice, or 6 months after install date is reasonable, if it was true. There needs to be a Disclosure on the packaging itself when the Warranty expires rather than on the hidden Wrapper within the packaging or the hidden Warranty expiration date behind the wrapper. Almost all, if not all products carry a warranty from the purchase date (on the invoice) this is most confusing ever encountered. And I don't know how to handle my problem because HP support asks for the Warranty expiration date on the Cartridge which is not viewable.

The "Install by" date is printed on the outside of the cartridge outer package and is readable before buying.  It is typically on the back side near the bottom right but it will depend on the cartridge.  For the 56/57 cartridges this will be 18 months from the date of manufacture.  The warranty date is printed on the cartridge itself as shown here.  The date on the inner wrapper is the  date of packaging, the warranty date will typically be two years later.  In your case the manufacture date was  April 2009, the Install By date would be Oct 2010 and the end of warranty would be April 2011.  

The way to handle your issue is to look for the warranty date on the cartridge, ignore the date on the wrapper as it is rather meaningless (and misleading) as it it *not* the end of warranty date or the

Install By date.

[Edit - most cartridges now have the "warranty date" printed on the package rather than the "install by" date as described above.  This is typically printed on the lower right side of the back of the package.]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation