Question

Student
Rick-S
Message 1 of 4 (4,932 Views)

HP 6500 "ink system failure"

I have a hp 6500 e709n printer that will not print.  I did have a paper jam.  After clearing the paper the "ink system failure message appeared.  I tried turning the power on and off, resetting the machine, cleaning the printhead and installing new ink cartridges.  I tried to do an ink initialization, but it then read printhead missing.  There is no error code and it won't allow me to do anything like setup.  Is there anything else to try other than replacing the printhead?

Intern
HP_Andrew_K
Message 2 of 4 (4,923 Views)

Re: HP 6500 "ink system failure"

Rick-S,

Typically "Ink System Failure" is a printhead issue. Please follow the document below to determine if it is something that you can resolve:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01458034&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

If it's a printhead issue, you may need to call 1-800-HP-INVENT

An agent will be able to determine if your printhead is still in warranty and if there will be a cost to you. If you want to go with a new printer, they can also look into your upgrade options.

Andrew

Please know that I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Honor Student
erniejay1
Message 3 of 4 (4,637 Views)

Same thing happened to me.  Why would a simple paper jame fail the ink system?  This is not acceptable because it trashes the whole printer and we have to buy another?  Very upsetting.

Ernest Herrera, San Francisco.

Tutor
DavidLerman
Message 4 of 4 (1,711 Views)

I am writing this for anyone experiencing an INK SYSTEM FAILURE message.  I use a 6500A and my wife has a 7500A wide carrige. The 7500A came up with an ink system failure. I tried everthing recomended with no luck.  My wife needs a working printer more than I do so I switched them out.  Since the power supplies are identical I left them in place.  Guess What?  The 6500 came up with an INK SYSTEM FAILURE as soon as it was powered by the 7500 power supply.  I switched the power supplies and everthing works great.  I tested the 7500 on the 6500 power supply and no ink system failure anymore.   I have not measured the voltage on the power supply which seems to cause the ink system failure but I recommend you try a new power supply before you buy a new print head.  Check ebay and amazon for a nice price. 

Hope this helps someone else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation