HP 6500 wireles printer keeps refusing to print on standard paper (5092 Views)
Student
slseattle
Message 1 of 10 (5,092 Views)

HP 6500 wireles printer keeps refusing to print on standard paper

My printer suddenly started refusing to print normal jobs on standard 8 1/2 x 11 paper. It shoots out a blank sheet with the edge slightly crimped for about 1 1/2 inches, about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the sheet. It displays the message "Paper mismatch. Paper size or type is incorrect." I have no idea what is causing this problem. It had printed perfectly up until now, but it has given the same error message for the last several different job attempts, and I'm stumped.

I look into the printer from the paper tray and above, and see no obstruction. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Grad Student
windrunner123
Message 2 of 10 (5,056 Views)

Re: HP 6500 wireles printer keeps refusing to print on standard paper

Hi,

Can you check the Printer Prefences and make sure that "8.5 x 11 inch" paper size is selected before the print job.

Thank you.

I am an HP employee

**** Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution" ****
Student
kilgen
Message 3 of 10 (4,881 Views)

HP6500 does not like envelopes (A9    53/4 x 83/4), it ejects them and gives error message wrong paper size. I'm using Hallmark Card program that works well for the cards but not envelopes. The program tells the printer what size the envelope is. Cannot find anything in HP manual. Suggestions welcomed.

Top Student
jadorset
Message 4 of 10 (4,742 Views)

Using the hallmark card program printer will not print envelopes always says paper mismatch.  have tried tech support to no avail brand new printer and does not print a simple envelope what a mistake this was buying hp.

Honor Student
u474499
Message 5 of 10 (4,697 Views)

switch off the printer, take the paper out of the tray, reassemble the paper properly, then put the paper back and switch on the printer, it should work

or just change the paper specificationo in A4 legal paper it should work then

slseattle wrote:

My printer suddenly started refusing to print normal jobs on standard 8 1/2 x 11 paper. It shoots out a blank sheet with the edge slightly crimped for about 1 1/2 inches, about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the sheet. It displays the message "Paper mismatch. Paper size or type is incorrect." I have no idea what is causing this problem. It had printed perfectly up until now, but it has given the same error message for the last several different job attempts, and I'm stumped.

I look into the printer from the paper tray and above, and see no obstruction. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

slseattle wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Honor Student
schmeeck
Message 6 of 10 (4,525 Views)

A HP tech found the solution to my wrong paper size/type.  Try changing the ink to draft quality before you print.  This solved my problem.

Honor Student
schmeeck
Message 7 of 10 (4,525 Views)

Change your ink quality to "draft" and then print.  This solved my problem...for some reason.

Student
listonian
Message 8 of 10 (4,382 Views)

Exactly the same for me.

With all paper settings correct for printing from WORD and other programmes it will only print in draft mode.

Is it best to take it back to the shop?
Best

Ian

Student
NateC
Message 9 of 10 (3,439 Views)

To solve this all I had to do was update the firmware, which I did through Web Services.

To do this the printer must be connected to your network, and be able to reach the internet.

1) Select the "Apps" button one the face of the printer.

2) The printer will ask if you wish to enable web services - select "yes"

3) If a firmware update is available, it will download and install it for you.

If this solution does not work for you,the firmware update can also be downloaded from the website and installed over USB, I believe. I did not go that route, however.

After installing the firmware update the printer was able to print on plain letter paper at normal quality.

I know this thread is almost a year old now, but it was the first hit when I started researching this issue so I'd like to lend a hand to anyone else experiencing the issue.

Top Student
Geordie71
Message 10 of 10 (2,998 Views)

Thanks to all the above but the problem with "paper mismatch" when envelope prining has suddenly appeared for me.  I have been doing this for over a year.  Re previous advice in this post.  Power on/off reset, paper restacking, draft printing made no difference.  I don't have an app button on my front panel or a reload firmware option in my front panel setup menu although I am pretty sure my firmware is up to date anyway.

Envelope loadsf from the tray,, there seems to be a bit of whirring, credibly associated with the machine "measuring" the envelope to match what Word has sent, and then the paper is rapidly rejected with the error message. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation