HP Business Ink Jet 2800 wont recognize replaced Ink Cartridge (6751 Views)
Top Student
Kruzcad
Message 1 of 17 (6,751 Views)

HP Business Ink Jet 2800 wont recognize replaced Ink Cartridge

After replacing the Ink Cartridge in my HP Business Ink Jet 2800 and turning the power back on, the "Ready" text appears in the Display window with the black cartridge showing "full".  I did a complete print head cleaning using my HP Toolbox program and the printer printed-out the test sheets as expected.   So the printer works fine and can actually print out the troubleshooting ink tests.

However, once I send a document for printing the display message says, "Processing Job" and then immediately stops and says, "Attention: Replace Expired Black Ink Cartridge".

Well, I just did that!

I unplugged the power cord and waited a few minutes to see if that would "reset" the printer, but that didn't resolve the problem.

I know I installed the new cartridge correctly; even removed and replaced it again, but I still have the same problem.

The display window and the Printer Status (from the Toolbox program) says I have a full ink supply (99%).

Can anyone help me resolve this issue??

Thanks.

Student
hpfury
Message 2 of 17 (6,638 Views)

Re: HP Business Ink Jet 2800 wont recognize replaced Ink Cartridge

I have the same problem, but with cyan and magenta.  Did you ever find a solution?

Student
dill100100
Message 3 of 17 (6,575 Views)

Did you ever find out how to get your printer to recognize a new cartridge?  I just replaced the yellow ink and it is reading as full but won't let me print in color.

Thanks for any help.

Honor Student
rlmunshi
Message 4 of 17 (6,568 Views)

I have a Photosmart C7280 with a similar problem. I've replaced the light cyan cartridge but my printer still gives me the empty ink cartridge message and won't print in color. It also can't show me the status of all my ink cartridges in the HP Solution Center app.

Top Student
Kruzcad
Message 5 of 17 (6,564 Views)

BEHIND THE PROBLEM:  Ink cartridges have a tiny PC chip at the point of connection to where it fits down in the cavity inside your printer.  So when you pop a new cartridge into your printer, the printer reads the information about that cartridge.  One of the bits of information that it reads is... how old it is; more specifically, it's expiration date. 

If your cartridge has been sitting around stocked for months on end, then it may be read and deemed as expired.  If you purchased your cartridge from a third-party vendor or went on eBay and got a "deal", then chances are you've purchased an expired cartridge.

SOLUTION:   The solution is based on the your computer's date.  Go to the right hand corner of the screen and double-click on the time.  The Date and Time Properties window will pop-up.  Change your computer's year to 2008 or 2007... yep, just reel back the time.  Save it down.  Restart your computer and printer, and try to print. 

Keep in mind you may get an "alert message" of some sort telling you that your "certificates" are not available, or something along those lines.  Don't worry, just try printing something.  If it works, then that's where your problem lies - an expired cartridge.  The point is, if your cartridge works, then the ink is fine inside the bladder and you should be OK.  Once the printer cartridges have been "initiated", you can go back and reset your Date Properties to your current year.  The cartridges won't know the difference once they've been activated.

Hope it worked, but if this "trick" didn't work, then unfortunately, I don't really have another solution for you.

Honor Student
rlmunshi
Message 6 of 17 (6,557 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought it would probably work because my new ink cartridge was recently expired. (Thanks Office Depot for selling me an old cartridge.) But I followed all the steps, and I still got the same message when trying to print. I guess I'll have to pay for a support call to HP? 

Top Student
Kruzcad
Message 7 of 17 (6,534 Views)

Sorry that didn't work, but I have another suggestion along the same line:  Try using a variety of dates that are closer to your expiration date.  In other words, try different settings of your clock; just a few months prior to the expiration date.  Also try printing before restarting.  Try various combinations of restarting your printer (and or computer).  The idea is to engage that computer chip associated with the cartridge.

Let me know if you have any success.

Honor Student
rlmunshi
Message 8 of 17 (6,526 Views)

thanks for your ongoing help! I'm now not sure it's a date/expiration problem. I  printed a Self Test Diagnostic Page and all the ink expiration dates are showing up as being in 2011 or 2012. So I followed these instructions I found in a Google search:

Christina: Let us perform some steps to isolate the issue and find a fix for it.
Christina: Please perform the following steps and let me know the message that will be displayed on the printer.
Christina: A. - Press and hold the “*” key.
B. - Press the “#” key and release both keys.
Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”
C. - Press and release in sequence the “1”, “2” and “3” buttons.
CustomerName: ok
CustomerName: screen says "support" R0631M
Christina: Fine.
Christina: 2. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”.
Christina: 3. Press and release the “OK” button.
Christina: 4. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,
Christina: 5. Press and release the “OK” button.
Christina: 6. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.
CustomerName: yup
Christina: 7. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.
Christina: 8. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
Christina: 9. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.
CustomerName: done
Christina: Fine.
Christina: 10. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer
CustomerName: done
Christina: 11. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK. The Printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.
CustomerName: made a buncha noise, and it didn't print a diagnostic page
Christina: Good.
Christina: Is the error message still being displayed on the printer?
CustomerName: nope
Christina: Good.
CustomerName: should I try to print something?
Christina: Let us print a self test page to check the functionality of the printer.
Christina: Press Setup menu on the All-in-One then scroll using the arrow key and select Print Report then select Self Test Report.

Now I still get a message (on my PC, not on my printer screen) that says I'm out of cyan but do I want to print Black Only. When I click the Black Only button, my printer prints the document in color.

So at least I can print in color now. I guess maybe I can't print just black or grayscale.

Top Student
Kruzcad
Message 9 of 17 (6,522 Views)

How interesting.  So this tech/user conversation had to do with an HP "All-in-One" Printer?

My printer is an HP Business Jet 2800.  It's a larger format style printer; but not an "All-in-One".

Nothing really happens when I'm on the Desktop and press the "*" and "#" keys; and release.

Perhaps that's the protocol for that/your particular printer.....

Well, at least you have the color cartridges engaged.  You might want to explore the Properties button on the Print window when you print a document.  Go through the tabs and explore how to reconfigure the output of your printer.  You should be able to go monochrome.

Thanks for the info.

Honor Student
rlmunshi
Message 10 of 17 (6,502 Views)

Oh, yes, sorry. I forgot this thread was about the Business Ink Jet 2800. I have a Photosmart C7280, which is an All-in-One printer. So the above instructions worked pretty well for me, but I guess they aren't applicable for Ink Jet 2800 owners.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation