Question
HP Business Ink Jet 2800 wont recognize replaced Ink Cartridge
Replies (16)

Student
kellyslk
Message 11 of 17 (2,760 Views)

Re: HP Business Ink Jet 2800 wont recognize replaced Ink Cartridge

HELP!  All new cartridges and printer still says REPLACE!   I've shut down, rebooted and reinstalled cartridges and still won't print.

What's up HP?

Top Student
Kruzcad
Message 12 of 17 (2,735 Views)

Re: HP Business Ink Jet 2800 wont recognize replaced Ink Cartridge

Try temporarily resetting you computer's time clock.  The ink cartridges have a chip built into them identifying the manufacturer's "born on" date, thus you can only use "new" cartridges based on their shelf-life expectancy.  So, turn the clock back on your computer (by clicking on the time in the lower right hand corner of your screen) a couple of years, restart your computer and printer, and try printing.  You may get messages telling you "certificates" are out of date, etc.  Don't worry; just by-pass that and print.  Once your printer is fooled by the date it becomes initiated.  Now go back to your time settings and restore today's date. 

Hint: try to set a year/date within the year of the purchase date of your printer.

Give that a try.

Tutor
Message 13 of 17 (2,285 Views)

Re: HP Business Ink Jet 2800 wont recognize cyan printhead

The printer has been using without any problem. Only when the printer was connected to another PC and installed the driver. It tells all the ink cartridges were expired and should be replaced. So the printer did not work at all.
Actually, all the inks are over 50% full and the expired dates on the ink cartridges in 2008 except black color on 2010/05/11. And it has been using with previous PC. Why should I replace good expired inks? Save money , of course!
So I set the date of my PC back to 2009/01/20. The printer did print a test paper!!
But when I tried to do one more print job. There was a message "ATTENTION Install Cyan Printhead". Then the printer does not work at all. It can not print anything such as self test report.
Something wrong with electronic issue? Is there any relation with the date setting?
Your great help will be appreciated!!!
Top Student
Kruzcad
Message 14 of 17 (2,279 Views)

It took me some trial and error to figure out the best sequence (or order) in which to go about reseting your printer and PC in concert to make this "clock-trick" work.

Please follow this proceedure in this order:

1)   Turn off your printer.

2)   Set the PC's Clock back to the time your cartridge was purchased.

3)   Turn off your computer.  Wait for a few seconds...

4)   Turn the computer back on... As the desktop begins to populate with icons....

5)   Turn your printer back on.  Wait for both PC and Printer to finish booting-up.

(Don't worry about "certificate" window messages; just turn those message windows off.)

6)   Choose a Word Document (something short) and proceed to make a print. Make it simple & easy.

(Don't use the Printer test-print function!  Yes, it will print; but you don't want to engage the printer this way!)

7)   Once the print is made, set the PC's Clock back to today's date

8)   Go to the Start menu, and do a Restart... DO NOT TURN YOUR PRINTER OFF.

9)   FYI:  Always leave your Printer ON; don't turn it off; otherwise you will have to reset it everytime you turn it off.  You can turn the PC off, but not the Printer!

10) If this proceedure worked, make a copy for future use.  I guarantee, you will need it again.

The minor drawback here is that the Printer's read out (LCD) on ink levels will not reflect the correct amount of ink left in the cartridge.  In the future, you may need to replace the old cartridges with transparent or translucent cartridges (and use refill kits) to visibly see the level of ink left.

Hope this helps

Tutor
Message 15 of 17 (2,269 Views)

I have done that before by setting date of the PC for the expired ink cartridges.  But it did print one paper only and then the Printer ask "Attention install cyan printhead" message. The printer does not work.

Now the another issue is that the printer does not recognize PRINTHEAD, not ink cartridges after resolving the expired ink cartridges. The printhead was not recognized is CYAN and not expired yet (2012/06/07 marked on the printhead).

Your great will be appreciated!!

Top Student
Kruzcad
Message 16 of 17 (2,266 Views)

I've had my HP 2800 for almost 4 years now.  I don't do an excessive amount of printing; but even then, I have yet had to replace the printheads.  Printheads should last a long time, and these printheads for the 2800's are built to last.

I do know that if your cartridge runs out of ink and you don't replace the ink soon enough, it can do damage to the printhead, as it has a tendency to dry out.  If you continued printing without ink in your cyan cartridge, then you've run the risk of allowing your printhead to run dry.  It sounds like you've gone through the process of "self-cleaning heads", but it also sounds like you still had/have ink in that cyan cartridge.... it leads me to think you may have a defective printhead. 

So, if I'm understanding your situation correctly, my suggestion would be to talk with the store or vender you purchased the heads from.  Other than tricking the Print cartridges to believe they're operating within their shelf life, I don't have any other suggestions.

You also may want to contact HP and see what they have to offer you as well.

Tutor
Message 17 of 17 (2,264 Views)

I have contacted HP already and contacted the store I purchased. But no avail.
Well, I just wonder why the Cyan printhead has been using without any problem, only when I set back the date of my PC for the expired ink cartridges. The Cyan printhead has been replaced once and not yet expired (2012/06/07). Compared with other Black, Yellow and Magenta, they have already expired (2008)!
Before purchasing a new Cyan Printhead, I should know if it is defective or not. Why if it so?
Thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation