Question

Honor Student
awoo021011
Message 1 of 5 (2,575 Views)

HP C309 Black Ink Print Head Problem

The HP C309g AIO photosmart printer have had 2 print head failures in the pass few months.

First one back in Dec 2010 and the recent one 2 days ago.

Since the printer is still under warranty it is not a big issue.  However, after the warranty is another matter.

Have anyone experienced any of high print head failures with the C309g printer (not printing black).

The second failure issues a message of Not able to align the printer head and / or  Ink System Failure.

Considering my experience with this printer so far, the reliablity is the pits and the cost of ink doesn't make it any better.

Does anyone know the cause of these failures or is it a design or manufacturing issue?

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 5 (2,532 Views)

Re: HP C309 Black Ink Print Head Problem

Hi awoo021011

Sounds like you're seeing a few issues....have you contacted Phone Support as you may be entitled to replacements? Was the printer working ok for a while before this happened?

For Ink System Failure, if it's 0xc19a0013 it's worth checking if any of the cartridges are empty. You could also check they're vented properly. More details here

I'd definitely advise that you contact Phone Support. If you do, please let me know how you get on and if there's anything else I can help with.

- Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
awoo021011
Message 3 of 5 (2,523 Views)

Yes,  the printer was working OK for a while.

The unit is network connected and is kept on 24 hrs/day since it automatically reduces power consumption when not used. I replaced the Black Ink-Cartridge as a test even thru the Ink-Levels indicates that it is still 75% full (XL-Cart).

I don't want to randomly just replace cartridges before it time because they are quite expensive.

I verified that all the cartridges are vented properly.  Even cleaned the print head contacts as a last resort.

I have contacted HP Support.  They are sending me a replacement Print Head assembly.

This same failure has happened twice already.  This first failure was within 3 months of the printer's installation and the 2nd failure 2 months after replacing the first print head assembly. Because of this repeated failure of the same component, this tends to make me believe that there might be an issue with the print head assemblies. 

These repeated failures has me re-considering my future HP printer purchases.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 5 (2,472 Views)

Hi awooo021011

Did you get the replacement yet? Has it solved the issue?

If it hasn't, please let me know and I will do what I can to follow up.

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Student
denray
Message 5 of 5 (1,722 Views)

Hi, I have the same problem, although my printer is about 21 months old.  I have had the print head cleaned but it still does not print in normal black.  The colour prints seem fine.  Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation