Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer was working fine and suddenly stopped working. The printer now is stuck in the initializing mode. I've restored the factory setting, power cycled the printer (both with the power button and by disconnecting the power cord) to no avail. How do I go about getting the printer operating once again?

Saw the exact same problem from some others, but not able to see any replies.

84 REPLIES 84
HP Recommended

Hi @miwwen ,

I see that the printer is stuck initializing. I can help you with this.

Try this power reset, if it is different from what you have already tried.

Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Please check your private messages for some steps to try.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Have a wonderful day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and have followed your instructions so far - unplugged everything, removed all printer cartridges,  plugged back in to the wall and it's still initializing.  Will you please give me directions to fix my printer?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi moorelitter,

I'm sorry to hear that your printer is stuck initializing.

What happened prior to this issue? (update, paper jam, changed toner)

I can send you the reset for the printer in a private message.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry was out of town for a bit...

tried all the tricks, still end up with the printer being stuck in the "initializing" mode.[edited reset by moderator] still no change in the outcome.

Any other suggestions?

thx,

HP Recommended

Hi miwwen ,

Sorry to hear the reset didn't help for this issue.

If you are using Genuine HP Toners and the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and the printer is still stuck in initializing, then I would recommend to call our technical support, at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.
Contact HP.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Same situation M177FW stuck on Initalizing. please send me instructions how to reset printer

HP Recommended

Hi @madsLV ,

I understand that you are also having the same issue.

What happened prior to the printer going into initializing? (changed toner, updates)

I can send you that information in a private message.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi Miwwen,

I have same problem as the email below, can you send me power reset procedure please...

HP Recommended

Hi @SSAB ,

I can send you that information in a private message.

What happened prior to this issue? (update, paper jam, changed toner)

I would do a hard reset if you haven't tried this method.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.