Question

Honor Student
Rpm9876
Message 1 of 7 (568 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Deskjet 2050 "control panel" (for lack of better term) missing

This morning I clicked the link that was created when I installed my HP Deskjet 2050 and the "normal" black and blue colored control panel with buttons to click on for Printing, Scanning, checking ink levels, and all sort of other stuff appeared.  I have used this link dozens of times since I got this printer, and each time I have been sent to the correct "control panel" of buttons to do things.

I clicked the "scan" button and went about my business -

I scanned 4 pages of my homework into a single .pdf.

I went to my desktop and opened the .pdf to check for quality.  (I did not close the scanning program window.  The control panel was closed when the scanning window opened.)

The scanner was set to scan the wrong page size (results of a project from the beginning fo this semester) and I re-scanned the 4 pages at the correct size.  Saved it.  Checked again, it was fine this time.  I closed the scanning program.

Later today, I clicked on the same link mentioned above, and for some unknown reason, I get a completely different screen.

printer-fail.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, there haven't been any file changes (latest was 11/16/12 which definitely wasn't within the timespan I was finding the control panel I usually use missing) or driver updates or anything of the sort that would have caused my "Print, Scan, etc." link to no longer open the correct control panel.

There was a completely different "control panel" available not an hour before I started seeing the above junk.  (And the "Printer Assistant" button above doesn't do -anything- at all either!)  There were 6 or 8 buttons which included things like an option to scan pages and make copies.  The previous control panel was much more black than white too.

How do I get that old control panel with other options back?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 7 (558 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 2050 "control panel" (for lack of better term) missing

Hi,

HP released a new software version and the issue happend as the software you use is outdated.

Please remove the software by going to Start > Programs > HP > HP Deskjet 2050 > Uninstall.

Downlaod and install the new software below, that should resolve the problem and bring any option back:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=al-109407-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
Rpm9876
Message 3 of 7 (553 Views)

That's not "exactly" what I had before, but it'll do!

Thanks and kudos!

Student
clark52
Message 4 of 7 (488 Views)

multifunction Laserjet m1217nfw

desktop controller has disppeared and I cannot scan unless I go the the driver and then only as a jpeg.  no pdf available.

I have downloaded new driver, software and firmware.  No luck.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 5 of 7 (460 Views)

I would try using the PCL6 driver to see if that returns your ability to scan as a PDF. 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=...

Additionally, I would check scanning through either Windows Fax and Scan or Microsoft Paint to see if you can save the file as a PDF. 

Let me know how this goes and I will get right back with you. 

-Spencer 

Student
BrianInBangkok
Message 6 of 7 (142 Views)

Hi. I have gone through the uninstall procedure for deskjet 2050 mentioned above (start-programs etc.) but get mesage that I need a disk which I cannot find.

I have uninstalled via Windows control panel and also Advanced Uninstaller.

But same result.

I am really trying to install the latest drivers etc but can't untill I uninstall the older program.

Can I buy an installation disk at a local H.P.?

HP Pavillion PC, Vista 32 Bit, Firefox.

Thanks, Brian.

Top Student
Stormbow
Message 7 of 7 (130 Views)

You should start your own thread to get help, not raise an old thread from the dead.  (Last post in this thread was ... 10 months ago?)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation