HP Deskjet 940c Not Printing with Windows 7 (1762 Views)
Student
miannone007
Message 1 of 5 (1,762 Views)

HP Deskjet 940c Not Printing with Windows 7

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my computer from Windows Vista to Windows 7.  Since this upgrade my HP Deskjet 940c printer does not work.  When I first connected the driver was automatically installed.  The hardware was detected and there appear to be no hardware issues in the device manager.  Windows thinks that the printer is set up fine, however when I try to print ot it nothing happens.  It looks like it sends the print job, but then nothing prints.  If you look in the print queue it is empty.  So either the job never gets put into the queue or it is in and out of the queue very quickly.

I used the installation disk I had with the printer and installed the HP software, but am still getting the same results.  I have attempted to print a test page and still nothing prints.  I have also doubled checked all cables and connections and everything appears fine.

If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this it would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Tutor
Windows7Guy
Message 2 of 5 (1,667 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 940c Not Printing with Windows 7

Hello miannone007,

Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!

As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Honor Student
coffeebreak
Message 3 of 5 (288 Views)

I am having this same problem. My hp940c has the USB and the multi prong cables from the printer to the tower. I was using it with WinXP, and just bought a new PC with Windows 7. It plugs in fine, it automatically did its download thing and it shows as my default printer, green X and everything. I try to print and it says it is printing, but isn't. I have the disk from when I bought it and removed what it automatically download and did a install with disk...got the same results. I looked at the links you sent but from what I understand it to say, you have to upgrade to Windows 8 for them to work. How can I make this printer work with Windows 7?

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 4 of 5 (274 Views)

Hi coffeebreak

I understand you are unable to print from the Win7.

When you connect the cable, windows should do a automatic update to install the printer. There are no drivers for this printer to download and install separately.

This is a url how to get to the device manager and check for conflicts.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm
Then click the link below Identifying problesm in the Windows Device Manager.

I would download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor to see if this resolve the issue.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02073861&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/cc...

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
coffeebreak
Message 5 of 5 (271 Views)

I tried your options...they worked. Printer is working..slower than before but better than having to buy a new one! Thanks for your help
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation