08-15-2010 11:46 AM
I have an old Deskjet 940c running on a home network and connected to a desktop running Windows XP. When I try to connect with the new computer I can find the printer, but it says that there is no driver for that printer - or that there is a driver that comes with Windows 7, but not how to download and use it. On the HP web site it says that you have to install it on the printer using a USB cable, but there is no connection on the printer for USB.
Is it at all possible to make my printer work from the new computer??
08-15-2010 02:21 PM
The Deskjet 940 actually does have a USB port, it is somewhat hidden just to the right of the parallel port.
The best way to install this assuming you want to keep the XP machine around would be the following: on the Windows 7 machine go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\XPname\PrinterName (Use the actual share names for the computer and Printer), OK, Windows Update, Deskjet 940c.
Bob Headrick, HP Expert
I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.
If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V
If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V
- HP Connected - Finding Your Printer's Email Address in HP Connected
- HP Printers - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
- HP Connected - Getting the Printer Claim Code
- HP Printers - Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?
- HP Officejet and Photosmart All-in-One Printers - The Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) Does Not Pick Up Paper