HP Deskjet 940c from new PC running Windows 7 (64bit) ?? (1445 Views)
Student
pdw13
Message 1 of 2 (1,445 Views)

HP Deskjet 940c from new PC running Windows 7 (64bit) ??

I have an old Deskjet 940c running on a home network and connected to a desktop running Windows XP. When I try to connect with the new computer I can find the printer, but it says that there is no driver for that printer - or that there is a driver that comes with Windows 7, but not how to download and use it. On the HP web site it says that you have to install it on the printer using a USB cable, but there is no connection on the printer for USB.

Is it at all possible to make my printer work from the new computer??

pdw

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 2 (1,436 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 940c from new PC running Windows 7 (64bit) ??

The Deskjet 940 actually does have a USB port, it is somewhat hidden just to the right of the parallel port.  

The best way to install this assuming you want to keep the XP machine around would be the following:  on the Windows 7 machine go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\XPname\PrinterName  (Use the actual share names for the computer and Printer), OK,  Windows Update,  Deskjet 940c.

649iB1DBAC02AA63A896

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation