Question

Top Student
Giampiero
Message 1 of 11 (10,471 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Deskjet 990Cxi Professional Series and Windows 7

I have this printers from several years and i was alway happy with it. Also for some PHOTO prints it was OK !

Now I installed Windows 7 (32 bit) on my PC and all is going bad with my prints.

Colors are bad and it's almost impossible to get a decent photo print.

I changed both the cartridges in order to be sure it was not a printer problem.

Now I'm sure is a DRIVER problem.

All was ok before i got WIN 7 and his own driver.

All changes with the new OS.

What to do ??? Is there any solution ? Or it's time to change printer ?

Many thanks !

Giampiero

Italy

Associate Professor
kkcb9395
Message 2 of 11 (10,457 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 990Cxi Professional Series and Windows 7

Hi - First, HP doesn't provide a driver for Win 7 for the DJ990C, which means you're using the driver that comes with Windows and has somewhat limited functionality.  With that said, I still wouldn't expect the PQ to be that poor.  I'd try running a test page on the printer to verify that he colors are correct on the printer (even though you changed the cartridges):

Press and hold the POWER button, then press the CANCEL button twice.
You should see the cyan, yellow and magenta colors.  If the colors are not right on the clean test, there is something going on with the printer, cartridges or paper.  If the colors are correct on the clean test, about all you can do is adjust the settings in the printer driver and try printing from a different software app.
Hope that helps.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
Top Student
Giampiero
Message 3 of 11 (10,450 Views)

Many thanks for your help.

As you said the quality is not so bad on common printing.

The problem is on photo prints. Now quality is absolutely not enough for a decent photo print.

I tried with several softwares and the output is quite the same.

Maybe it's time to get a new photo printer. Any suggestions ?

Best Regards

Giampiero

Associate Professor
kkcb9395
Message 4 of 11 (10,448 Views)

Hi Giampiero - Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any other options.  With that said, there is a big difference in photo quality between the DJ990 and the new printers.  I think you'll be very impressed with the photo quality on any of the new HP printers.

Happy Holidays!

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 11 (10,443 Views)

If you are printing on photo paper make sure you have the correct paper type selected.  Printing on photo paper with plain paper settings will result in washed out and streaked/banding in the prints.  Change the setting in the "Paper/Quality" tab under the Media setting.  I would also suggest changing the quality to Best.

I have also seen cases for other printers where the print settings from the default were used rather than the user specified print settings when you are printing from the Windows Photo application. I do not know if this applies for the 990c.  If changing the settings in the application does not change the print results then exit the application.  Next go to Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the Deskjet 990c, Printer Properties, Preferences and change the settings.  Once you have completed photo printing you would want to go back and set the defaults back to your normal settings.

dj 990 media.png

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
Giampiero
Message 6 of 11 (10,437 Views)

Thanks for your quick and complete support.

I think that the only problem is that WIN7 use old and obsdolete drivers.

The old drivers had also the automatic paper type identification (the blue light that investigated on the paper).

Why no new WIN7 drivers for this printer ?

HP and MS decided I have to change my printer ?

OK,  but this one was a good product !

Many thanks again and best regards !

Giampiero

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 11 (10,433 Views)

The Deskjet 990 is about a dozen years old at this point so the drivers have not been updated for Windows 7 beyond the drivers supplied with Windows Update.  You could try the following:  go to Devices and Printers, right click on the Deskjet 990, select Printer Properties, Ports and then write down the port settings.  Next cancel from there and in the Devices and Printers folder Add a Printer, chose the same port as used for the Deskjet 990c, Next, click Windows Update.  It will take a few minutes for the list to repopulate.  Once it does look for the HP (not Hewlett-Packard) Deskjet 5550 Series (HPA) (HP) and select this.

The Deskjet 5550 driver should be compatible with your 990c and give some additional choices in the driver.  The 4800 dpi selection will not work for photos but the additional paper types as well as automatic paper type selection should work.  To enable the duplexer using the Deskjet 5550 driver see here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
Giampiero
Message 8 of 11 (10,417 Views)

Thanks Bob !

I will try your solution soon !

Giampiero

Top Student
Giampiero
Message 9 of 11 (10,415 Views)

I followed your suggestion.

The situation is better, but not as before installing WIN7.

In any case is ok and I would thank you all for your support and help.

Best Regards

Giampiero

Tutor
DieHard
Message 10 of 11 (10,188 Views)

I have newer HP printers but my DJ990 still works as well as it did when I bought it - I can't say that for the other HP models.

Tthe MS drivers that are supplied with Windows 7 for the DJ990 are very basic.  I'm using the DJ970 driver to gain access to additional features like ink volume, mirror image, saturation, etc and a printhead cleaning cycle. that never made their way into the DJ990 driver.

I tried the HP 5550 (HPA) drivers in Windows 7 and got access to the dry time for duplexing, but it prints slower in draft mode than the 990 or the 970 driver does.  I want to modify the files from Windows Update for the DJ990 to incorporate the advanced features into the DJ990 driver (especially the dry time -- I miss the efficiency of the XP driver that would churn out duplexed pages in draft mode very quickly).

Any tips on which files need to be modified to put at least the dry time back into the DJ990 driver?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation