Question

Honor Student
cterry877
Message 1 of 18 (1,754 Views)

HP J 7410 static sounds from speaker - GHOSTS? ET?

Has anyone experience why an HP OJ 7410 would start making static sounds from the internal speaker.  Frankly, I didn't know it had an internal speaker until now.  It sounds like a faint crackling or static sound.  No electrical burnt smell(yet), thank goodness.  Doesn't make the sound all of the time but it definitely is there.  You can hear it when the printer is doing nothing but sitting idle.  I turned it off, unplugged it and repowered it back on and it is still there.  The only three causes that I have come up with so far is extraterrestrial beings trying to contact me via my network(yes it is on a network), ghosts from pages past or more simply, my going nuts.  My wife tends to believe the last one so this is why I am asking for a second opinion.  Thanks!

Student
Johnny-D
Message 2 of 18 (1,683 Views)

Re: HP J 7410 static sounds from speaker - GHOSTS? ET?

I'm having the same problem with the 7410.  Have not found the answer yet.

Top Student
manichauhan
Message 3 of 18 (1,666 Views)

I have the same problem...anyone figured out what the problem is yet ?

Student
timblack1
Message 4 of 18 (1,652 Views)

I've got the same issue, and am just posting so if anyone has info about it I'll be notified.

Top Student
manichauhan
Message 5 of 18 (1,634 Views)

Hi,

Got the same problem. The level of 'crackling' has increased gradually over the past few months, to a point where I am now seriously considering purchasing a new kodak printer.

Any aliens trying to contact us, please use this forum to decode your messages !!

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 6 of 18 (1,621 Views)

Hello all,

I can't say that I know exactly what's causing this, but I would suggest trying this:

Press the Setup button on the front panel of the printer, scroll right to Basic Fax setup and press OK (you should be able to press 4 to get directly to this menu), scroll left to Ring and Beep Volume and press OK (or press 8) and set it to Off.

If this doesn't work, try disconnecting the printer from the fax line and see if that makes the noise disappear.

Top Student
manichauhan
Message 7 of 18 (1,610 Views)

Hi,

Thanks Pontus...

Tried it, but did not work. Even disconnected the fax line.

I did try to send a fax though and it seems to have quitened down briefly. The speaker seems to be reacting to some electrostatic or some other kind of interference.

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 8 of 18 (1,609 Views)

Hello manichauhan,

Then I'm not sure what you should do to resolve this. Try moving the printer a bit and perhaps connecting the power cord to another wall socket to see if that helps.

Top Student
manichauhan
Message 9 of 18 (1,601 Views)

Pontus,

No worries. At least you tried to help. I think you may have pointed me in the right direction.

Trying to send a fax or sending a fax seems to have fixed it. It made a whole lot of crackling noise during the fax and them completely stopped.  I have not heard crackling for the past few hours. Before that it was crackling continuously on power on !!

Thanks Again.

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 10 of 18 (1,599 Views)

Hello again manichauhan,

That's good to hear! Let's hope it's gone for good then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation