Question

Top Student
Dug_E_B
Message 1 of 9 (2,636 Views)

HP LaserJet 4 plus driver

The driver I have will not install, setup, or execute. So how do you get the driver into windows XP. This is the first time in 18 years I have seen this. It appears the driver is in DOS format. Hopefully I will get an answer before the weekends out. I could use something to go right.

Thanks in advance

Doug

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 9 (2,632 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 4 plus driver

Have you tried going to the Printers folder, Add Printer, Local Port, LPT1 and then select the HP Laserjet 4 Plus?  AFAIK the drivers are built into Windows XP, I just checked and they are in Vista.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
Dug_E_B
Message 3 of 9 (2,627 Views)

Would it be on the machine that was upgraded from Windows 98 to XP.  Because it works fine on the machine with just XP on it.

Confused

Doug

Top Student
Dug_E_B
Message 4 of 9 (2,587 Views)

I went back to see if I can load the driver once again into the system recovery, and I had no luck the only thing it would say is

operation could not be completed            and.....

This application has failed to start because mscms.dll was not found

I took a look at the files and there is no execution of any type in their, or nothing to make it run

Top Student
Dug_E_B
Message 5 of 9 (2,581 Views)

I also tried to start the spooler and then I restarted the computer and this did not work
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 9 (2,593 Views)

OK, I just checked and the driver is available on Windows XP. 

How are you trying to add the printer?  Go to the Printers folder (Start, Control Panel, Printes and Faxes).  Under the "Printer Tasks" select "Add a printer".  Look under HP (not Hewlett-Packard) and select the Laserjet 4.

If there are error messages in the above process please indicate which step fails and the error mesage.

Regards,

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Top Student
Dug_E_B
Message 7 of 9 (2,562 Views)

I will do this first thing in the morning.

Kudos

Doug PS could you leave me a time that you do get back on on this forum?

Top Student
Dug_E_B
Message 8 of 9 (2,508 Views)

Well BOB, I went back and did the same thing by going to the control panel, clicking on printers and faxes and then add a printer and this is what came up. And the only thing I could click on was ok.

Operation could not be completed ( that’s all)

I then rebooted the machine and it found the printer, but I could not install the driver because it stopped right there and said

Windows could not load the installer for printer. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance.

(That’s all)

Now with the other computer that has XP that one has no problems installing this printer. I am wondering if this system recovery disks that loads up windows XP does not have that driver on there. I even tried to find this file at c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w...15921212 so I could copy it and I could not find this file. I should let you know that this is frustrating because I have been doing this kind of work for 18 years now. The only other thing was that has puzzled me like this was getting a CD-ROM loaded.

Doug

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 9 (2,500 Views)

Dug_E_B wrote:

Well BOB, I went back and did the same thing by going to the control panel, clicking on printers and faxes and then add a printer and this is what came up. And the only thing I could click on was ok.

Operation could not be completed ( that’s all)

I then rebooted the machine and it found the printer, but I could not install the driver because it stopped right there and said

Windows could not load the installer for printer. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance.

Hmm...  A google search of "Windows could not load the installer" came up with a lot of hits of folks with issues but I saw no solutions.  A few things to try:  download and install the Microsoft installer from here.

If that does not help make sure the print spooler is running:  from a user with admin priv. open a DOS window and type 

Net Start spooler

If the spooler was not already running then retry adding the printer.  Is the message is that the spooler was already running I would try the following:  stop the spooler with NET STOP SPOOLER, then copy the  contents of the C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 directory from the computer that has the driver installed to the problem computer.  Next start the spooler and go to the printers folder and see if that worked.  (Disclaimer - I have never seen this issue so the above may or may not help :-)

Regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation