Question

Top Student
disconnected
Message 1 of 9 (6,997 Views)

HP LaserJet P2055dn

[ Edited ]

Hi,

My problem is this: When printing to HP P2055dn (network printer) from pdf document and power point documents that have more pages (documents are not large in size), printer prints first two pages then stops (like he's having a tea break hehe) for about 2 sec and then prints 2-3 pages, then stops again for 2 sec, and then prints more pages and then stops for 2 sec and so on...I haven't tested it on other formats but i believe it would be the same result.

This is what I've tried so far:

1) Printing with PCL5,PCL6 and Universal drivers ==> Problem stays

2) Upgrading latest firmware ==> Problem stays

3) Reset all settings to manufactured ==> Problem stays

4) Printing directly trough USB ==> Problem stays

Did anybody had similar problem and knows the solution, or has any advice? Thanks :smileyhappy:

And one more question, why does document in size 2MB when printing, printer in Job Status - See what's printing shows that it has 10-15 MB and more?

When printing from Foxit PDF printer prints delayed as i mentioned in the post previously , but when printing same document from adobe reader 9 and X printer prints normaly. Also when printing document from Foxit PDF and Power Point  e.g document that has in size 300KB then in window  "Show whats printing" is shown much larger size ( e.g. 300KB becomes 3 MB). Can somebody explain why does printer spooler enlarges document in his memory so much when printing from Foxit PDF and Power Point. I've tested another printer HP CM1415fn, and similar problem occured, but this time printing pdf document (8 pages; 200 kb) from adobe reader x. The document size in "Show what's printing" windows has enlarged to 33 MB, and thus printer prints very very slow. Printers are installed on Server 2008 Standard.

Every help would be appriceated :smileyhappy: Thanks.

Top Student
disconnected
Message 2 of 9 (6,969 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet P2055dn

[ Edited ]

Anybody alive :smileyvery-happy:?

Honor Student
rpremuz
Message 3 of 9 (6,685 Views)

I can answer the second part of your question: when an applilcation (e.g. the Adobe Reader) prints a document (e.g. a PDF file) it does not send the document directly to the print spooler for printing as the printer probably does not understand the format of the document. Instead the application first converts the document to a meta format which is then converted by the print spooler to the printer's native language which is defined by the driver used. E.g. if a PCL 6  driver is used then the meta format is converted to the PCL. Another popular printer language is PostScript. The conversion from the document original format to a printer language can enlarge the amount of data significantly. You can try to print a document with "print to file" option and then open the file with a plain text editor (e.g. notepad) to see the format which is actually sent to the printer.

You can read more on this topic here:

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/citrix_metaframe_xp_advanced_technical_design_guide_including_featu...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783789%28WS.10%29.aspx

-- rpr.

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 4 of 9 (6,681 Views)

When using PDF files and the UPD on laserjet printers, you need to use a postscript driver. Please see this document for more information.

Printing PDF files and UPD drivers

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Honor Student
rpremuz
Message 5 of 9 (6,676 Views)

AuntieEm wrote:

When using PDF files and the UPD on laserjet printers, you need to use a postscript driver.

I have just the opposite experience: Adobe Reader X has issues when HP UPD PS driver is used while HP UPD PCL 6 driver works fine -- see more at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/916301

-- rpr.

Honor Student
Scotthill
Message 6 of 9 (5,907 Views)

I am having similar issues as above where printing a PDF using Reader X and UPD PS 5.4 takes forever, but works fine with the UPD pcl6 driver.

It kinda goes against everything you read about printing PDFs from Adobe and HP as well

For specific environment reasons we are not able to switch over 100% to the PCL 6.

Is there a resolution to this problem? Has anyone looked into it? From either side?

Honor Student
rpremuz
Message 7 of 9 (5,900 Views)

Scotthill,

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/916301 suggests a workaround for the issue: enable the Print As Image option while printing using the UPD PS driver.

-- rpr.

Honor Student
Scotthill
Message 8 of 9 (5,898 Views)

Unfortunately, that doesn't work either, actually inflates the spool size larger.

Student
K2ski
Message 9 of 9 (2,769 Views)

I have a HP Laserjet P2055dn it used to print PDF's really quickly

and now for some unknow reason it pauses 10 seconds between every page?

HELP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation