HP Laserjet 4000 and 6L in Windows 7 - cannot locate drivers (34714 Views)
Student
cubethis88
Message 1 of 10 (34,714 Views)

HP Laserjet 4000 and 6L in Windows 7 - cannot locate drivers

I recently purchased an Asus laptop, Windows 7 operating system, 64-bit. I am trying to install HP LaserJet 4000 and HP LaserJet 6L printers to this computer with a parallel-to-USB cable.

The computer allows me to install the 6L, and the printer appears in “Devices and Printers.” However, I cannot print pages.  I checked with the Windows Compatibility Center website, and this printer is supposed to run in Windows 7 without additional drivers.  Restarting has not helped.

The HP LaserJet 4000 will not install. I went to HP’s website and found the page for LaserJet 4000 drivers.  There are two boxes on this page: “Drivers” and “Universal Print Drivers.”  The driver listed under “Drivers” does not have a download button, only an “Obtain Software” link giving me instructions on navigating to the very page I am on.  I am not sure what Universal Print Drivers are or if they are what I should be installing.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tutor
AlanKS
Message 2 of 10 (34,695 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet 4000 and 6L in Windows 7 - cannot locate drivers

The universal print drivers are exactly that, a single set of drivers which are compatible with a whole range of printers. They are not strictly universal as there are many which will not work with them but if they are offered for your printer they should work. HP have bundled together whole sets of drivers, mostly packed as "for network administrators" covering groups of printers using the same control codes

From bitter experience however I would most likely be looking at your USB to parallel adapter. I have found the compatability of these limiting to say the least, the USB to COM being even worse. I would look for a parallel to network adapter as a preference although the HP ones are distinctly overpriced I have found ones by Netgear, D-Link and Axis work well. As  final option there are some add on cards to give a parallel port to a legacy free PC but to me the network option is much more flexible.

Honor Student
Firemandud
Message 3 of 10 (34,613 Views)

I have the same problem with LaserJet 6P and a USB to parallel adapter cable.

I am attempting to connect to a Windows 7 64 bit system.

I would think that a dedicated card with a true LPT1 parallel output connector would be best.

However, I do not know where to find one.

My USB to parallel cable does not seem to work. I wonder how the serial data gets translated into

parallel data for the printer.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 10 (34,602 Views)

There are Laserjet 4000 drivers available through Windows Update.  Go to Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, select the proper port, then click on Windows Update.  After a few minutes the list will repopulate, next select HP (not Hewlett-Packard) and select the appropriate driver.  Note you will need an appropriate driver for your USB-parallel cable.

lj 4000.png

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
jmehlhop
Message 5 of 10 (33,518 Views)

The hplaserjet 4000 series does NOT show up on my Windows7 64 bit.

Student
tomtetim
Message 6 of 10 (31,379 Views)

I'm using WIndows 7 64 bit and a Laserjet 4000 as well...and Bob Headrick's description is working fine for me. After some minutes of updating time, the HP Laserjet 4000 PCL6 was in the list. (I first chose HP, then clicked on Windows-Update, but I'm sure it doesn't make a difference....)

First I was disappointed as I thought my adapter cable was not working and I also read some threads about Windows 7 not supporting Laserjet 4000 anymore...now I'm happy I don't need  to throw away the adapter cable. (BTW I got a Digitus usb to parallel cable and didn't have to install any drivers, WIN7 just recognised it as "usb printing support")

Student
suepink
Message 7 of 10 (30,655 Views)

I have installed the drivers as above. My printer is attached with a USB to Parallel Cable. ( New computer Windows 7)

I can not seem to get the printer to printer from the add-on trays, only Manual feed and tray 1. When testing the printer in MS Word 2007 or several other programs  I have the option of Tray 2 (250 sheet) and Tray 2 (500 sheet) *** Tray 2 is listed twice. I have checked from the printer's menu and it does recognize Tray 3 & 4 correctly.

Thanks

Susan

Student
yj151
Message 8 of 10 (26,995 Views)

Well done.

What brand / model of usb to paralle port cable od you use?  I have a HP Laser Jet 6L.  I plan to get one cable to use it on my new computer.

Thanks in advance.

Student
Homickk
Message 9 of 10 (22,160 Views)

The drivers will not install because the computer says that the printer isn't digitally signed(laserjet 4000). Is it possible for me to digitally sign the printer? 

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 10 of 10 (21,842 Views)

Hi Homickk,

The product you have is a commercial printer. If the above instructions from Bob are not working for you, I would suggest posting in the forum for HP Business Support for a better chance at finding a solution.

Here is the link to the Commercial Laserjet board:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/bd-p/bsc-413

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation