Question

Top Student
stalks
Message 1 of 4 (8,784 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Laserjet P1606dn -- Prints forever!

[ Edited ]

If I enable duplex printing in printing preferences, and print, it will duplex my 1 sheet print request (2 pages, one on each side) and make unlimited copies until it runs out of paper or ink.

If I enable duplex printing in the web interface. All prints, regardless of duplexing enabled in the driver or not, are duplicated unlimited times.

I have tried installing the printer via the CD, via the 150MB+ download full installer, and from "Add a Printer" the Windows way and finding the driver on the CD.

I rang HP tech support, went through an extruciatingly frustrating experience where the support representative would ask small simple questions like "What is your name?" and then silence for up to 30 seconds, to the point of me saying "Hello, anyone there?". After 5 questions like this, I get to the point where I explain my problem and am told "We don't support our products in the first 30 days, you must refer to your place of purchase".

Well, here I am, on my second printer, having sent the other one back and having the issue confirmed. I am back to square one. My place of purchase will only refund me or replace the item, and HP won't even talk to me.

I have tried this on 3 computers, Vista, Win7 x64 and WinServer2008 R2 x64

Printer is connected as a network printer.

Please HP user guru's, please tell me there is a solution to my printing mess, or have I purchased a £180 brick?

Top Student
stalks
Message 2 of 4 (8,754 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet P1606dn -- Prints forever!

It seems this is now a known issue and a fix is available.

Disable bi-directional support on the printing port to fix the issue.

From here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02205132&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&product=411...

I wish the telephone support guys could of given me this information, would of solved me a lot of hassle and the returninig of a printer.

All is well again in stalks-ville. :smileyhappy:

Student
solocomputers
Message 3 of 4 (7,891 Views)

Thank you for posting your problem.  I have the same exact issue with a customer's printer.  You have saved me a lot of time.

Student
luckymr
Message 4 of 4 (7,482 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have not determined what causes this problem, but my network-connected printer sometimes begins to print a job and continues doing it until I pull the paper out or turn it off. Other times it seems to work perfectly.

Added edit: I now see the solution posted in this forum. I could not find the solution until I logged in as part of the "HP Passport" thing. Unless I post otherwise, I assume the solution will work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation