DonHP50
Message 1 of 12 (3,996 Views)

HP- Make an Envelope and Label Printer software that actually works

Dear HP:

I would love it if you would make aprogram that:

Prints envelopes and labels like this:

1. Select either a label size or envelope size from a predefined list

2.. Type in your information for Return Address and  Addressee

3. Press Print and the Envelope automatically orients its printout to the VERTICAL position in the predefined HP

printer chosen.

NO MORE BS with choosing a vertical orientation, choosing Media paper size and hope it works.

The same goes for labels.

I use a HP Officejet 6000 I must guess as to the settings to print  a lousy envelope or label printed once in a blue moon

It makes me angry to know how many envelopes or labels I waste! Surely, this can be a SPECIAL Project for HP to improve performance and attractiveness for HP?

Regards, Donald

Tutor
dudsound
Message 2 of 12 (3,983 Views)

Re: HP- Make an Envelope and Label Printer software that actually works

Hi DonHP50

After using an Officejet G85 for some years without any problems or headaches with printing labels or envelopes from Word, I recently replaced that printer with an Officejet 6500 wireless. I can honestly say that any progress made by HP over the years with respect to printing labels and envelopes or anything other than A4 has been in a backwards direction!

Instead of just setting up your envelope size in just Word,  you now have to change the settings in the printer driver software which you never had to touch in the past. Additionally, you know how many potential types of paper and envelope size there are in Word, well, there are only a fraction of those in the HP driver software including one brilliant example which is no DL sized envelope. There's a close approximation, presumably an American size, but not the precise 110 x 220 size. Another quirk, (which I'm sure HP will blame Microsoft for), is if you have an envelope saved along with the main document in Word, when you try to print just the envelope, it will always print the document first, all over the envelope! Never used to do this with the G85.

Finally, you must remember to re-set the driver software back to A4 once you have printed the envelope unless you want a surprise the next time you print out a letter. Luckily most Avery labels are on A4 sheets and using the settings in Word will allow the label to be printed correctly with A4 selected in the driver.

So we don't need new special software for print jobs like this, we just need the HP driver to leave well alone and let Word, or whatever application you choose to print from, control the process on its own. I like you have waisted many envelopes and much time with trial and error trying to get things to work properly, which is a shame, because this never used to be a problem. HP please note, if it ain't broke.......

Regards

Dudley

Honor Student
dan_5
Message 3 of 12 (3,973 Views)

Same Problem with L7590 all in one.  My old d135 worked fine until Vista and Office 2007. Then Vista did not support it. 

Honor Student
dude75
Message 4 of 12 (3,962 Views)

[ Edited ]

Im having same problem as you dan_5. My barcode label printing has grinded to a halt since I switched to Vista. Are you experiencing any font problems with your L7590? I am having intensity problems and just wanted to know if its an outlying problem with them.

Student
nyhs9596
Message 5 of 12 (3,844 Views)

my HP Officejet Pro L7590 just printed all the font on m y letter backwards!

Honor Student
iang
Message 6 of 12 (3,688 Views)

Please note. After a bunch of mucking around with my Officejet 6500, I determined that if you set the paper type to

" Borderless A4" (in printer properties/preferences- just tick the "borderless" box)) then all works OK.

Hope this works for others.

Tutor
dudsound
Message 7 of 12 (3,675 Views)

I'm glad this thread has re-surfaced as I may have found an answer to our problems.

I know our label / envelope printing problems are not exactly the same, but I do now believe they are down to some sort of "friction" between Word 2007 and, in my case, Windows 7, but Vista could well be the same.

Since posting on this thread in October, I gave up on my HP printer and took my 6500 back to John Lewis, and they gave me a full refund. Top marks to John Lewis!  To replace the 6500 I bought an Epson Stylus Office BX610FW, which is a very similar beast to the 6500, but to my horror, it too sufferred exactly the same problems as I had had with the 6500 which included printing a very very unreadably small version of an address in the corner of each label.

To cut to the chase, I have found that I can do all my label and envelope printing by using Open Office and without having to address the driver software as well. Of course I now wish I had tried this with the 6500 because I'm pretty sure it would have worked equally well with that printer. So perhaps this isn't just a printer driver problem but more of a Microsoft quirke with Word 2007 and Windows 7 / Vista.

Regards

Dudley

Tutor
DonHP50
Message 8 of 12 (3,662 Views)

Dudley:
Thanks for rejuvenating this topic! I have tried to print envelopes and mine come out Portait style, not Landscape.
Furher, there are three buttons on the printer layout for OpenOffice 3.21, which to use?
I don't think it has to do with the printer, it has to do with the HP software driver and it's interaction with the software.
Although I agree EPSON makes good printers (or at least they did) - I make no claim as to their reliabilty now.

dudsound wrote:

I'm glad this thread has re-surfaced as I may have found an answer to our problems.

I know our label / envelope printing problems are not exactly the same, but I do now believe they are down to some sort of "friction" between Word 2007 and, in my case, Windows 7, but Vista could well be the same.

Since posting on this thread in October, I gave up on my HP printer and took my 6500 back to John Lewis, and they gave me a full refund. Top marks to John Lewis!  To replace the 6500 I bought an Epson Stylus Office BX610FW, which is a very similar beast to the 6500, but to my horror, it too sufferred exactly the same problems as I had had with the 6500 which included printing a very very unreadably small version of an address in the corner of each label.

To cut to the chase, I have found that I can do all my label and envelope printing by using Open Office and without having to address the driver software as well. Of course I now wish I had tried this with the 6500 because I'm pretty sure it would have worked equally well with that printer. So perhaps this isn't just a printer driver problem but more of a Microsoft quirke with Word 2007 and Windows 7 / Vista.

Regards

Dudley

Tutor
DonHP50
Message 9 of 12 (3,660 Views)

DonHP50 wrote:

Dudley:
Thanks for rejuvenating this topic! I have tried to print envelopes and mine come out Portait style, not Landscape.
Furher, there are three buttons on the printer layout for OpenOffice 3.21, which to use?
I don't think it has to do with the printer, it has to do with the HP software driver and it's interaction with the software.
Although I agree EPSON makes good printers (or at least they did) - I make no claim as to their reliabilty now.
Regards, Donald

dudsound wrote:

Regards

Dudley

Tutor
dudsound
Message 10 of 12 (3,651 Views)

Hi Don

I appear to have six "envelope orientation" options in the envelope settings box in Open Office. I too will have to experiment to find the correct one for my Epson, and the clue is the orientation of the small addrress written on each button, but at least I can now print labels using Open Office which was impossible before using Word 2007.

The other alternative, which I am using more, is just to print a label and put that on the envelope. Also I presume you have changed from portrait to landscape in the HP printer driver software as well as chosing a landscape button in OpenOffice envelope settings. It's frustrating that things that should work, don't, and envelopes have always been a problem with printers, but unless you can sort your settings out and the printer doesn't chew the envelope up, which usually happens to me, I would go down the label route.

Good luck

Dudley

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation