Question

Honor Student
Tom123
Message 1 of 22 (54,828 Views)

HP OfficeJet J6480 false paper jam error

My HP OfficeJet J6480 is about 3 months old and has worked flawlessly as a wireless printer for 5 PCs / notebooks in my home. We leave it on all the time and the other morning we noticed it was displaying a paper jam error. None of our PCs / notebooks were on at the time. The error in no way accompanied the sending of a print job to the printer. Nor is there actually a paper jam. I have thouroughly gone through the help documentation and videos, and have now completely checked the paper paths at least 4 times, and even vacuumed out the printer in case dust or debris was the culprit. I ended up on this forum after googling the J6480 paper jam error, and I found another posting about this very issue ( http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Printing&message.id=667 ). I have tried all the steps suggested in that posting; things like unplug and replug the printer from its power source three times, or power down then hold down the # and 3 keys and power up (does some sort of hardware reset), reinstall the software (which I have done on just one of our 5 PCs / notebooks - As we get the error even when all PCs / notebooks are turned off). But I have had no success so far.

Can you please assist?  We need to print.

Thank you

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 22 (54,827 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet J6480 false paper jam error

have you tried updating the firmware of the printer? if not, then go to this link and follow the instructions.
CLICK HERE
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
Tom123
Message 3 of 22 (54,812 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion to update the firmware.

Unfortunately the firmware upgrade process fails with the following error: "Failed: Network printer is not ready for flashing. Please check the printer status from either UG, Toolbox or EWS."

I suspect that the persistent paper jam error needs to first be resolved in order to flash the firmware to solve the persistent paper jam error....

Please instruct i there is a way around this. Otherwise I may have a catch 22 situation here.

Thanks again.

Honor Student
Tom123
Message 4 of 22 (54,770 Views)

Well unfortunately with no solution forthcoming I have purchased a Lexmark and in a couple days will be discarding my 3 month old HP J6480. Such a shame. When it was functioning the J6480 was the best little all-in-one printer I've owned to date, with its built in wireless, sturdy construction, convenient paper tray and quick printing. I'm going to miss its features. But in the end a printer that no longer prints just isn't a printer any more...

Honor Student
Tom123
Message 5 of 22 (54,543 Views)

Athough I have already replaced the printer, it is only 4.5 months old. So instead of discarding it this evening I called HP support. A very courteous and patient technician verified all the steps I had tried previously and walked me through a few more steps. We tried a different type of reset initiated by pulling the power cord and then simultaneously holding the # and 6 keys while plugging the cord back in. We also tried reseating the control panel bezel to make sure it was not obstructing the function of any buttons. Unfortunately nothing we tried worked.

But because the printer is still within its 1 year warranty period, the technician escalated the call to a higher level and HP offered to replace the printer at no charge. They are sending a replacement now. When I receive it I will have to send them my old printer. They pay for all shipping. And in return all HP asked for was a credit card number to hold as collateral pending their receipt of my old printer.

Seems fair enough.

Top Student
YangWe
Message 6 of 22 (53,699 Views)

Hi, folks,

I also have "false paper jam" problem with my HP6480. I bought it last December - almost 4 month old. I've only used this printer twice and totally printed about 10 pages.  I've tried all tricks listed in this thread and suggested fixes from www.HP.com/Support  without luck. It seems that I have to through this thing away.  Anyone had tried upgrade firmware?

Thanks in advance,

Weimin

Student
hankbates
Message 7 of 22 (52,569 Views)

I have the same problem with my j6480, but it only occurs when printing in color, and only on one of two computers.

Firmware has been updated.

I suspect that the usual fix will work for problems with hp printers, reinstall the software.

Master's Graduate
skippyjohnson
Message 8 of 22 (49,784 Views)

Here's how to fix a jam or recurring paper jam on the J6480 printer.

I am an HP employee.
Teacher
kevin_techno
Message 9 of 22 (45,424 Views)

Top Student
sleah
Message 10 of 22 (44,692 Views)

I too have a printer with the phantom paper jam and incorrect shutdown report. With replies like this from an HP employee, it shows what a battle we have to fix their garbage. If an employee is illiterate - which he is showing he is by the fact he obviously has no idea what this thread is about - then what hope do we have?

So far searching the net, the only solution would appear to be waste disposal, which in my experience is the best for almost all HP printers :smileysad:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation