HP OfficeJet J6480 false paper jam error (53531 Views)
Tutor
oampo
Message 11 of 22 (10,679 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet J6480 false paper jam error

[ Edited ]

Whiz kid advised  me to turn printer off and bang lightly on lid to clear a "flag"jam in feed mechanism...It worked for me.  I also sent my comments to HP CEO and got this reply.

Thank you for taking the time to send HP your comments.  We sincerely apologize for the difficulties you've experienced.
Your comments have been escalated to the appropriate people within Hewlett-Packard for review.
 If you have not been contacted shortly or you need to speak with someone immediately please call our Executive Office in Palo Alto, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Pacific Time. [Personal Information Removed]

Your input is important to us and very much appreciated. 

Regards,   

CEO Customer Relations

Student
ITguyDan
Message 12 of 22 (10,522 Views)

My HP6480 just started throwing this false paper jam error right after I replaced both of the printer cartridges at a cost of %$32.  Staples wont take these back now that they are opened.  I have done everything that is on this thread.  Soft reset, hard reset, unplug and restart, update the firmware, and cleaned everyplace I could get to inside the printer.  It still does not work.  I am so ticked that I must now buy a new printer after just a couple of years.  If HP thinks this is adequate life for a printer that gets used a couple times per week, they are wrong and losing me as a customer. 

Tutor
oampo
Message 13 of 22 (10,505 Views)

Sounds like you have nothing to lose If you turn printer off and bang lightly on lid a couple of times...computer expert told me this frees a flag jam some where in procces of paper loading to print.....It worked for me when all else failed.   If your cartridges are HP #56 & #57& are unopened, I would consider buying them from you...How much?

Anita

Honor Student
Neill-Courtenay
Message 14 of 22 (9,341 Views)

I had the same problem and after exhausting all the suggestions to fix it I still had the paper jam error code.  I even took it to 3 different computer repair places and no one wants to work on them.  So after ordering a new Canon on-line I decided to take the J6480 apart (not easy) as they made them purposely so users can't fix them.  After completely dismantling it I didn't see anything out of order so started to put it back together and while carefully examing the interior with a flashlight I noticed a black wire at the right rear near the exit of the area where the 2 sided adapter slides in. It had broken off the solder post.  It can be seen at the back right hand side after removing the 2 sided cartridge.  You will see various colored wires and near the entrance there is a black wire soldered to a post that is wrapped around the plastic housing and unless probed with a minature screwdriver you would think the wire was still attached.  I have a pencil solder gun so I reattached the wire and suprise the paper jam error has gone and everything works great.  These wires are very near the paper slide area which if a jam actually occurs the paper can easily make its way to the wires and break any one of them. A better guard system on the chassis would have prevented this.    For those folks who have software problems with this model especially if they converted from Windows Vista to (7) I found the best solution is to go to the control panel and delete (unload) the main HP J6480 series file and follow the on screen instructions to unplug your printer media connector which will allow the program to be completely deleted, do a computer re-start and then plug the printer media cable back in.  Tell the computer to add a new device at the Control Panel and as long as you are connected to the internet it will download the updated software for the printer and all should work well.  If any of this helps anyone great.  I have a new Cannon on the way and so this one will be my back-up.  Its amazing this all happened when the printer is less than 2 years old and gets used very little.  One repair shop that boasts a sign with $100 per hr shop rate told me HP was in trouble and was filing for receivership.  Don't know how true that is but if these kind of probs keep coming in one would think the tech world would be on top of the necessary repairs.  Hate to throw out in the landfill something that can be easily repaired and used.  Cheers PS you need a TORX screwdriver to work on these beasts.

Honor Student
wsame
Message 15 of 22 (8,528 Views)

I had the exact same problem as Neill where a wire had broken off. I had just bought 2 new ink cartridges so was POed. In my case it was a blue wire that broke off from the motor. The black wire also connect to the same motor but opposite connector. Neill is right in that it was a pain to take apart. I broke the whilte side panel covering cus I knew it was just for looks and scotch taped it back on. After getting covers off, i could unscrew Torx screws to get rest of it apart. After soldering wire back (hard to get soldering iron in this small area), it worked. I'm guessing the same as Neill where a paper jam cut the wire because of small exposed hole that paper can get into. Just remember not to break any plastic components inside but white outside side panel is ok to break locking tabs.

Student
kendavis3
Message 16 of 22 (7,703 Views)

FALSE PAPER JAM. The.HP help  guide does not work. I powered the printer down then up and checked everything suggested on the HP help guide. NOTHING WORKED

Honor Student
CharlieNH
Message 17 of 22 (7,169 Views)

I see several different locations on the lower right of the printer where there are wires inside. Coudl you possibly give me a little more guidance about where and what I should be looking for. Nothing is obviously broken. Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 18 of 22 (7,165 Views)

HP OfficeJet J6480 false paper jam error

Charlienh,

If you see any broken wires the printer will need to be serviced. If not what printer are you using and what operating system?
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Honor Student
CharlieNH
Message 19 of 22 (7,158 Views)

I was trying to understand two earlier posts about specific wires that needed to be resoldered. Access is hard at that corner and I was looking for a better description about precise where the relevant wires are. I see several red, blue, and black wires to try to trace. Is there a proper way to pop off the side panel without breaking the tabs?

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 20 of 22 (7,143 Views)

HP OfficeJet J6480 false paper jam error

CharlieNH,

Unfortunately I do not have a detailed disassemble diagram for what you need. However, sending a PM to those who have been through the process above or 3rd party site may be able to provide what you are looking for. Sorry :smileysad:.
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation