Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for posting this info and the pictures. I was able to complete the fix in a snap. Waiting for glue to dry is worse than waiting for water to boil, lol. I waited for about 6 hours. Used contact cement. It worked!!! You are awesome!!

HP Recommended

AWESOME!!!!! I found the gear and it moved over to connect just as described. Thanks. Where can I send a tip? 

HP Recommended

Eureka! problem solved. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks to both Moon_Patrol and apomux my HP 6500A is fixed.  50 cent worth of well placed glue.  The tip to use a mirror to see the gear clearly was a plus.  Use a plastic epoxy.  Applied with a pick tool or screwdriver with bent tip made spotting the glue easier.

HP Recommended

I also have the same exact problem, which started after feeding photo paper that got stuck, and has not been fixed with the roller cleaning, etc... Unfortunately, to bring a printer to be serviced  would cost more than a new printer.

HP Recommended

OMG!  It worked for me, too.  I think HP needs to hire you out in your free time!!

HP Recommended

My printer remains fixed after 3 months of use.

Tip:  Glue gear into place.  Just sliding the it back into position won't last.  Remember that it wandered off the teeth in the metal shaft in the first place ...

HP Recommended

Amazing fix, TY! 

Here's a clearer image with arrows. Printer works like new - **bleep** it feels good to fix this myself; save $$$.

HP6500A-GEAR-FIX.PNG

HP Recommended

I have followed the instruction on this post as I have the same issue. I have used a glue recommended for models and a plastic epoxy. I was able to print two pages with the epoxy before it came loose again but the model glue did not hold. Also I don't seem to be able to rotate the shaft to put glue all around the cog that you slide the gear back over. Are there any specific glue names that have actually worked for this fix? I would just give up but I have brand new ink that I would like to use. It seems to me that this is a flaw in the hardware. Anyone have suggestions? Glue was left to dry for 12 to 24 hours.

HP Recommended

@gg1999 wrote:

I have followed the instruction on this post as I have the same issue. I have used a glue recommended for models and a plastic epoxy. I was able to print two pages with the epoxy before it came loose again but the model glue did not hold. Also I don't seem to be able to rotate the shaft to put glue all around the cog that you slide the gear back over. Are there any specific glue names that have actually worked for this fix? I would just give up but I have brand new ink that I would like to use. It seems to me that this is a flaw in the hardware. Anyone have suggestions? Glue was left to dry for 12 to 24 hours.

Also important to clean the surfaces with a rubbing alcohol type solvent first. (remove any oily residue).  Let dry or flush with compressed air.  I used Loctite 2 part plastic epoxy. It was sold at HD then, but any syringe style is best for getting equal parts measured.  Measure  out more than you think you might need and mix thoroughly.

A mirror really helps with this part.  Use a curved pick to apply some glue around the little teeth on the metal shaft (see FixedITagain photo).  Then, slide the nylon gear into position over that place.  (Note that little nylon gear might have a crack in it) . The gears should then be aligned  A nicely fashioned paperclip might work if you don't have a curved pick tool. 

Finally, use the extra glue to apply to both sides of the gear where it meets the metal shaft.  BE CAREFUL not to get any glue on the plastic gears' teeth!  Let glue cure completely before another test print.

Let me know how it turned out.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.