Question

Top Student
ediejensen
Message 1 of 8 (2,630 Views)

HP Officejet J5780 Sensor not detecting paper

My alignment paper is printing, but when I feed it through the document feeder on top to align cartridges, like it asks me to, I get an error message after the paper goes through the feeder that no paper was detected. This causes an error message "alignment failed". I have done the troubleshooting available online and have determined that there is a bad sensor on the paper feeder, but the equipment is not very old. What do I do?
Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 2 of 8 (2,623 Views)

Re: HP Officejet J5780 Sensor not detecting paper

Hi there.  Just to make sure I understand the problem as you're describing it...can you make a copy from the glass, and from the document feeder, or does one of these not work?  Regards, G
While I do work for HP, anything I say is from me and me alone, and does not reflect the views, opinions, strategies, or favorite ice cream of HP in any way, shape or form.
Top Student
ediejensen
Message 3 of 8 (2,620 Views)

Yes. They both work. Thanks for your response.
Top Student
markcboyle
Message 4 of 8 (2,339 Views)

We had the same problem when we replaced our black cartridge.  The answer is that we also had to replace the color cartridge.  The alignment page needs to have color and black alignment bars.  The alignment page that printed upon replacing the black cartridge had no color on it, and thus was rejected each time by the alignment routine.  Once we replaced the color cartridge as well, the alignment page printed with both black and color and the alignment completed.
Top Student
ediejensen
Message 5 of 8 (2,328 Views)

I think that particular problem is solved now. Thanks. I how have one dark line and one light line right next to it on the left side of the page about 2" in.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 8 (2,323 Views)

ediejensen wrote:
My alignment paper is printing, but when I feed it through the document feeder on top to align cartridges, like it asks me to, I get an error message after the paper goes through the feeder that no paper was detected. This causes an error message "alignment failed". I have done the troubleshooting available online and have determined that there is a bad sensor on the paper feeder, but the equipment is not very old. What do I do?

I would suggest putting the alignment sheet directly on the scanner glass bed rather than feeding it through the document feeder. See here for alignment details.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
ediejensen
Message 7 of 8 (2,319 Views)

Thank you. I'll try that next time and see what happens.
Student
jlmcvay
Message 8 of 8 (1,477 Views)

This solved the problem for me, too.  Thank you very much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation