Question

Honor Student
EmmaSue
Message 1 of 20 (11,204 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus will not print

My 2 month old printer will not print unless I open and close the print cartridge door. The printer screen says it is printing, but nothing happens. I have followed all of the steps on line, but nothing works. Anyone else have this problem?

Honor Student
JeffonJobs
Message 2 of 20 (11,163 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus will not print

I have the exact same problem and have reloaded software and everything too.  I didn't know about opening and shutting the ink door so at least that tip worked.  I was having to turn the printer off then back on which was a pain.  Going to call support and will see what they say.

Honor Student
JeffonJobs
Message 3 of 20 (11,162 Views)

Hey It is Jeff again...talked with support and there are a few things you can do to fix this issue.  Here are the steps:

1. unplug the printer and wait one minute.  Then replug it in.  This is considered a more thorough "restart" than just pushing the on/off button.

2. If that doesn't work, they have instructions on how to do a semi- or full-reset.  I haven't gotten that far yet because my printing issue only happens after the printer goes "dormant" (to sleep) after I haven't printed for awhile.

3. If that doesn't work, the support rep stated I might need to get a replacement.  

Also, mine (Officejet Pro 8500A doesn't even print when I put a piece of paper on the glass window so I know it is not my wireless connection.  If you (or anyone else) can print using the window (opening and putting paper flat) then it might be a wireless networking issue.

Hope that helps.

Jeff from JeffonJobs.com 

Honor Student
JeffonJobs
Message 4 of 20 (11,157 Views)

Jeff again...well it appears the issue is a known issue for this model.  The fix suggested is to turn off the "energy saving mode" by going to:

- Setup

- scroll down to Preferences

- scroll down to Energy Save Mode

- select Off

Try that too.

Student
Gabeli
Message 5 of 20 (11,155 Views)

Same problem. My HP 8500a 910a need restart everytime. Tried everything software & firmware update, wireless & wired, reinstall software, enrergy saver off etc. but nothing helps. It is not a connection problem. Printer display "printing" or "copying" but nothing happends until I decide to restart printer and this is happending more often. Printer is ok . I have done all maintennaice stuff regulary, printerheads ore ok, everything seems to be normal.

I think that something is wrong with the new firmware!

Honor Student
JeffonJobs
Message 6 of 20 (11,152 Views)

Great...just tried it with energy saver off but you are right still not working.  Nuts...wish it were not true.  It does work when I open/shut the printer ink area but nothing else.  I wonder if it is a firmware issue.

Student
ELT627
Message 7 of 20 (10,644 Views)

I have just begun having the same problem, the printer is about 5 months old.  Has there been any new information available for this issue?  I am on usb not wireless.

Honor Student
EmmaSue
Message 8 of 20 (10,641 Views)

I followed all the steps outlined on the HP help site - several times - to no avail. I then contacted HP and explained my situation. Because the printer was still under warranty, they said they would be sending a new one to replace mine. Before the new printer arrived, for reasons unknown to me, my original printer started working. I cancelled the new printer and the problem has never come up again. Shortly after that however, the printheads became defective and HP replaced them free of charge. Don't hesitate to contact HP - they were helpful and wanted to make sure I was a satisfied customer.

Student
ATrichak
Message 9 of 20 (9,579 Views)

I have experienced the same problem with BOTH of my HP Officejet Pro 8500A printers.  The first time I replaced it with a refurbished printer, new printerheads, and cable. 

And now this time, I phoned into the tech support.  And he went through a series of troubleshooting that reset my printer.  However, it didn't fix the problem, as I am again experiencing the same problem.

If so many people are having this problem, then you would think that tech support would have figured it out by now.  It is more common than not.

Tutor
8500APlus_User
Message 10 of 20 (9,291 Views)

Does your printer display "Printing..." on the control panel, but never prints?

I had such a problem. The only way I could get mine to print was to unplug the power cord and plug it back in.

I found the problem was an "expired" ink cartridge.  I replaced the cartridge with a new one and the problem went away.  Check your ink cartridge statuses by using the Control Panel functions.  If you see one that is expired (my panel displays a yellow exclamation mark on that cartridge's icon), try replacing it and see if the problem goes away.

My problem occurred whenever the printer went into "standby" mode.  I think when it wakes up it checks the cartridges and when the firmware finds an expired cartridge it locks up.  Just an educated guess.

Good luck!  And if this helps, please click the Kudos button for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation