HP Officejet Pro 8500A Shrinking page and adding huge top and bottom borders (3532 Views)
Student
Dragnmoon
Message 1 of 8 (3,532 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8500A Shrinking page and adding huge top and bottom borders

I am having problems with printing PDF documents, for my old printer when I printed these PDF documents the border used to be even all around, with the HP Officejet Pro 8500A the left right border is 1/8 inch and the top and bottom borders are 1/2 inch. How do I set it up so everything prints with an even border of 1/8 inch. The large borders top and bottom are shrinking the pages to much and is aggravating.

I have tried adjusting the Page scale to None, Fit to Printable area and shrink to printable area, but the all just print the same.

Any Advice from anyone?

Honor Student
Dragn_moon
Message 2 of 8 (3,530 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500A Shrinking page and adding huge top and bottom borders

Wrong Profile used in the Post.

My old printer printed with a 1/8 border all around, want to set the new printer up so it does the same.

Honor Student
Dragn_moon
Message 3 of 8 (3,505 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500A Shrinking page and adding huge top and bottom borders

It only does it When I am using Duplex, For some reason when I am using Duplexing it scales down the page, I don't get the full scale.

Is there a way to fix this so I get the full size of the page?

Honor Student
doinit10
Message 4 of 8 (3,478 Views)

This is a serious design error. I have tried other duplexing printers and most do not have the incredible shrinking page syndrome. Surely this can be corrected with firmware or software. If not, it represents a serious lack of regard for the consumer. It makes duplex printing useless for some if not all documents. HP, PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!

Student
8500A_user
Message 5 of 8 (3,232 Views)

This has been driving me crazy too!  I was having the problem with single-sided printing in Word also.  In Word, I was able to go in to the "Page Setup" menu and select the paper type (way down on the list) as "Edge-to-Edge Letter."  I changed that to be the default for new documents, I just have to remember to change it every time I print an older document for the first time. 
:smileysad:   That was working just fine as long as my document was single-sided...

Tonight I did my first duplexing and ended up with a bunch of double-sided shrunken printouts even though the paper still said it was Edge-to-Edge Letter in page setup!  (I was so confident, I printed everything out and THEN looked.  Dang.)

I was able to do this workaround...  Hopefully it will work in your situation.  If you go into PRINTER properties (not the document properties) and under the Paper/Quality tab select "Edge-to-Edge Letter" and change the paper to HP Glossy Brochure (one of the only ones that doesn't have a caution sign on it) and change print quality back to "Normal" (it changes itself to "Best" when you pick the brochure paper), then it will print out the correct size on regular paper on both sides.  However, even though I picked normal printing quality, it was still slow.  Let's hope HP hears us and fixes this stupid problem!

Diane

Student
mkwak
Message 6 of 8 (2,998 Views)

HP - have you found a fix for this? I print PDFs from Preview on my Mac (2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.7.2). I mainly print contracts in PDF format for my work and it's fristrating that the margins cut off information at the top and sides.

Can you advise how to fix this?

Student
jrjerde
Message 7 of 8 (2,962 Views)

I've just printed tri-fold edge to edge (well, .13 margin) successfully using:

Print Setup: edge to edge letter

Print - Presets: plain paper-best

Paper type: HP 180 Glossy

frustration galore, but success in the end.

Honor Student
ErnieKapp
Message 8 of 8 (2,672 Views)

To correct the misalignment while printing labels, go to Control Panel - Printers - right click on HP8500A - click on Properties then Device Settings.  Change "Automatic Duplexing Unit" to "Not installed".  Labels will print correctly.  Remember to change back to "Installed" if you need double sided printing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation