Question

Top Student
WAB1
Message 1 of 7 (583 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus locks up or freezes

My new 8600 screen after a short time freezes then a short time later goes blank and the power button blinks.    I have to unplug and then plug it in again.  The printer is not discoverable when it is in this state.  I have the printer setup wirelessly.  The blue WiFi light stays on the whole time.  All of this is almost as if it is going to sleep or eco mode.  The only problem is it will not wake-up.

I have tried resetting the factory defaults and starting over, to no avail.  

I have removed all HP programs from the computer and reinstalling, again to no avail. 

I have checked and downloaded the updates from HP.

I do have wireless Direct on and have used it.

When I touch the WiFi symbol it shows 2 bars and connected.

Schedule on and off are both disabled.

Any ideas as to why my new printer will not wake-up?

WAB1

Distinguished Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 7 (580 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus locks up or freezes

There is a power save mode on this model of printers, check the setting first.
The power button blinks, sounds like it did go into sleep mode, pressing it doesn't bring the print back? It may take a few seconds.
======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
WAB1
Message 3 of 7 (574 Views)

I have tried touching the blinking power button to no avail.
Additionally, when I have pulled the power cord and plug it back in and I would let it start up normally. Then I have pushed the power button to activate a normal shutdown and a normal start up, all of this was to no avail.
Top Student
WAB1
Message 4 of 7 (563 Views)

New development!  I returned my printer to Costco and picked up a second one and am having the same issue.  It must be something I am doing if no one else is experiencing the problem.  Ideas?

Tutor
john_stenzel
Message 5 of 7 (325 Views)

I too am having the same problem. I have taken this problem to Google search and there seem to be quite a few users having the same problem with no response from HP. I will keep working on the problem and will post if I find a solution.

Tutor
john_stenzel
Message 6 of 7 (315 Views)

I too am having the same problem... there seem to be no responses on a fix. How do I contact HP printer division?

Top Student
Kay576
Message 7 of 7 (179 Views)

If you are using your printer wirelessly, check your modem/router.  Chances are, the problem is there and not with the printer.  I just purchased an 8620, and the freezing and/or offline issues were directly related to my outmoded router.  The modem/router was 2 years old, but that was old enough to be problematic.  I have a new modem, and an external router (my own Netgear Nighthawk) and all issues have gone away.   I am no longer hate my HP printer - it works beautifully now, no freezing, no locking, no getting lost or being offline anymore.  External router is a good idea - but be aware that the industry is in the process of switching from N to AC, so if you get an "N" you might have to upgrade sooner than if you purchase an AC/N. Just a suggestion.

Also - if your printer is new, call the helpline and don't use the forums.  The helpline is great and solved my problem.  The only thing I hate about the helpline is that it won't help you after a year.  That is when the forums might be helpful (or not).  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation