Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My warranty has expired - and my touchscreen just went blank!  I have tried all the troubleshooting ideas others have (unplugging from the machine, unplugging from the wall, etc.). Nothing has worked thus far.

My question is - this appears to be an issue that many of us are having. Is HP doing something about this? Or do we just buy new printers every 16 months? I love(d) this printer - and I have found some work-arounds by using the icons on my computer. But it is not convenient and does not work for everything.

Please let me know if anyone has found a way to fix this - and if HP is going to do something about this very coincidental issue that we are having.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello otcheryl,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

Sorry to hear about the display screen issues you have been experiencing with the Officejet Pro 8600. I seen that you have also posted here: Re: PRINTER DISPLAY SCREEN ALMOST COMPLETELY WHITE (TOO BRIGHT/FAD​ED/?). The troubleshooting provided by Advance23 covers all of the support options available with a service.

On the off chance you have not looked within the last couple days, I see that there has been a firmware update for this printer released just this past Friday.

If you have a Windows computer, a USB and a small amount of time, it will be worth a try.

--->HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a Firmware<---

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I tried all the troubleshooting that Advance 23 stated except this  - "You can also change the screen brightness by going into the *Setup* tab on the front panel of the printer and then into *Preferences* and choosing *Screen Brightness*." The problem with this is that I cannot access my front panel of the printer because my screen is blank!!

I attempted to access the firmware to which you referred - when the screen asked me to choose my printer, it stated under status "unavailable". My printer is on, and I can print to it, so the printer is not unavailable to my system. I presume that this means the firmware is not meant for my printer. 

This is rather frustrating, and I appreciate your help. But it appears that this problem is prevalent and might need more than just a "reboot" of my printer. 

Thanks for your reply - I hope that HP can resolve this issue. It looks like I am going to have to buy a new printer, but I don't want this same issue occurring. 

HP Recommended

Like you, I have tried all the suggestions made on this forum plus a few of my own.  I haven't thrown it off the deck yet, but that may be my next move.   Thanks HP.

HP Recommended

I am also having the same issue, y screen first got dim and hard to read a few months ago and today it stopped printing because it said I needed ink. I went out and bouth the ink and put it in and it's printing fine but now the touch screen is totally dark, unlit.If I tab it the arrows and home icon will appear on the outsides of the touch screen and they are bright but that is it. My warranty is now expired and I just bought $100 worth of ink!

I am on an island and there is no repair center, I have heard this is common and is from a loose wire. I tried all the other solutions, nothing. I hate to have to buy a new printer!

HP Recommended

You are not alone! I am having the same problem. Fortunately, I bought mine used for 30 dollars. It prints like a charm, but my screen is almost completely washed/whited out. If I squat down at a certain angle, I can see it enough to guess what is on it. Going to continue to search and try. I have had awesome results with HP for over 25 years. This is the first issue thatw I could not quickly resolve.

HP Recommended

Was this ever resolved, or a class action suit started, since SO many people seem to have had this issue? It seems like it's STILL happening, as mine has the same faded screen issue, and of course is out of warranty.

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended

Soooooo,

a trail of 401 error messages on all the "fixes"...

Any actual fix on this?

HP Recommended

I aml having the same blank problem on my Pro 8600.  Even after trying all of the troubleshooting step, still broken.  Can HP Support help?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.