HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
05-21-2010 08:24 PM
I am receiving the following message: "Ink system has failed. Unable to print. Refer to printer doumentation. Errorxc18a0306". I have sut the printer down, taken out the USB connections and toners and am still getting this message. HP support indicates the next step is to have the printer serviced. Has anyone ever had this problem? This printer has not had high usage.
Solved! Go to Solution.
05-27-2010 03:20 PM
It looks like from your post that you did some of the steps to reset the printer... did you do them in the order in which you posted or did you follow this squence listed in the document below:
I am employed by HP
08-09-2010 04:27 AM
The help message I got worked:
This follow-up mail is in regards to the Activity ID:4067509 and the issue “Hp Photosmart c5180 All-in-one printer ”wherein we could not complete the troubleshooting steps. Here are the remaining set of troubleshooting steps which should resolve the issue:
Please perform the below steps:
A- Press and hold the “left arrow” key.B. - Press the “Setup” key and release both keys.Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”C. - Press and release the “OK” button.
Display should say “Support” and display the FW rev (something like R0616R)
Then perform the below steps:
2. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”. (on C8100 use Touch Screen)
3. Press and release the “OK” button.
4. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,
5. Press and release the “OK” button.
6. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.
7. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.
8. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
9. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.
10. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer
11. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK.
12. If the printer has already initialized, then go to the next step. If not, the printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.
13. To verify printer functionality print a SELF TEST PAGE. If SELF TEST prints, then printer is ready for use or Software Installation.
09-19-2010 01:10 PM
Just wanted to thank you for putting this out here. My C5180 came up with error code 0xc 18a0306 Ink system not working, and I tried everything till I ran across your instructions. Worked first time. Thanks again...
09-21-2010 11:23 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I have gone rounds and rounds trying to fix this error message and get my printer to work. I don't know how you came about this but you are a genius. I have had this printer for at least 8 months and have not been able to use it. (It was given to me by a friend and it had worked for her) I am so happy I signed into this forum.
09-28-2010 12:46 PM
1. Have replaced all of the cartridges that were empty or nearing empty.
2. Follow the reset procedure, but no avail.
Since I have invested in the duplexing adapter and just bought 3 replacement cartridges (black, cyan and magenta), I would hate to have to see all that investment wasted. Radio Shack quoted me $40 for estimate, and $80 PLUS PARTS (with the estimate fee credited towards repairs, if elected. If the problem cannot be fixed here, I would like to know on the high end what parts and the cost can be expected. A good candidate model replacement would be the Office Jet 6500 wireless model, but the investment in the new cartridges would be wasted, and possibly the duplexing adapter.
Your help would be most appreciated.
10-19-2010 12:37 PM
It turns out that HP will not supply repair parts for the printer, but has offered me a trade in offer for a reconditioned Photosmart C6039G with a 1-year warranty for $130, with intake charges credited towards the price. That model does include duplexing, plus wireless, which the Photosmart 3210 does not have. Unfortuantely, the investment in the ink cartridges would have been wasted. I would have preferred the Office Jet 6500 Wireless model because of the addition of built-in FAX, but HP would not go for that alternative at a reasonable price.
Louis. . . .
10-25-2010 12:14 PM
This was Awesome.! we are a non-profit organization, so can't afford to take printers to be repaired. Until I found this message, I thought the printer was a donner!