Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the very helpful step by step instructions 

The printer is working again after a long period of not

HP Recommended
It is amazing how HP does not have this solution available in the support page.
HP Recommended

charlietp wrote:

The help message  I got worked:

This follow-up mail is in regards to the Activity ID:4067509 and the issue “Hp Photosmart c5180  All-in-one printer  ”wherein we could not complete the troubleshooting steps. Here are the remaining set of troubleshooting steps which should resolve the issue:

Please perform the below steps:

A- Press and hold the “left arrow” key.B. - Press the “Setup” key and release both keys.Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”C. - Press and release the “OK” button.

Display should say “Support” and display the FW rev (something like R0616R)

Then perform the below steps:

2. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”. (on C8100 use Touch Screen)
3. Press and release the “OK” button.
4. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,
5. Press and release the “OK” button.
6. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”. 
7. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.
8. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
9. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.
10. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer
11. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK.
12. If the printer has already initialized, then go to the next step. If not, the printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.
13. To verify printer functionality print a SELF TEST PAGE. If SELF TEST prints, then printer is ready for use or Software Installation.

On my Photosmart C6280 I had to hold down the "Red Eye Removal" and "Print Photos" keys (as another poster noted). This solution worked fine for my Oxc18a0101 error message.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Jsalvador1 wrote:
It is amazing how HP does not have this solution available in the support page.

That's because HP support is rather poor. They'd rather sell you a new one than help you fix the old one.  Next new one HP sells me will be a Canon or Lexmark.

HP Recommended

Worked great.  You guys are the best.

HP Recommended

hello my uncle gave me his printer hp photosmart all in one c5180. I bought today new cartridges because the printer had not. after the install and connect the printer to my computer came a failed error in ink sistem error 0xc18a0306 already tried to look for solutions on the internet but nothing, and quite urgent because it is the only printer that I have and I need to solve my problem. grateful if I can help

HP Recommended

it didnt work for me

my uncle gave me his printer hp photosmart c5180 all-in-one. I bought today new cartridges because the printer had not. after the install and connect the printer to my computer came a failed error in ink sistem error 0xc18a0306 already tried to look for solutions on the internet but nothing, and quite urgent because it is the only printer that I have and I need to solve my problem. grateful if I can help

HP Recommended

well it's 2017, but my ever faithfull c5180 is working again THANKS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.