Question

Honor Student
SUPPO
Message 1 of 25 (4,819 Views)

HP Photosmart 7520 Power Issues

I recently acquired a new Photosmart 7520 wireless printer.  I have successfully set it up, can see the printer from my computer, have printed documents with no issues.

My problem arises when it sits idle for a period of time.  I have it set to go to Energy Save Mode after 5 minutes of inactivity.  The Auto Off option is disabled.  with these settings, I'm having aproblem with the printer completely turning off and will not respond to the power button to turn back on.  the only way to turn it back on is to unplug it, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in again. 

the outlet has power when the printer is not responding because the light in the power adapter is still lit and green. 

Any ideas on why it is completely powering down and not responding to the power button at all? 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 25 (4,803 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7520 Power Issues

The document here may help resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
SUPPO
Message 3 of 25 (4,793 Views)

Unfortunately, that link didn't provide much help.  Even if the printer did power off (even though i have the auto power off option set to no) it does not respond at all to the power button.  the only way to get the printer back on again is to unplug it, wait for the green light on the power adapter to go out, and plug it back in.  from there it'll stay on for a while, go into its energy saver mode where it will respond to the power button by coming back on.  but if left for anywhere from 30 minutes to over night it'll shut down completely and will not respond at all to the power button. 

Honor Student
DavidJLandry
Message 4 of 25 (4,669 Views)

I have the very same issue, and have logged it on this site.  I originally called HP, they told me it was a "hardware issue", and to return it for a new one.  I returned it to Staples where I purchased it, came home wiht a new one, and the SAME ISSUE occurred.   Like you, I am anxious to find a solution.  I like th printer otherwise, but this power issue is very annoying.  

Love to  hear from others who have the same issue!

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 5 of 25 (4,652 Views)

I will be happy to help you try to keep this printer from going to sleep/offline.  I want you to know I can help you take every precautionary measure to keep this from happening but a lot of times it can come down to the type of router you have.  Here is a really good forum post with the solution for this problem is to set a static IP.  

--7510 photosmart printer energy mode--

Also, there is a firmware update available for this printer.  You will want to make sure the printer is up-to-date by clicking this link (hp.com/support), selecting your operating system for your PC, and under the section Firmware, you will find the available download.  If you need any more assistance, I will need to know your computer's operating system and the name/model # of your router so I can assist you better.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Honor Student
jayneds
Message 6 of 25 (4,595 Views)

I just had the 7520 Power Button fail. This is a machine purchased in France in October 2012, so not even a year old. The power supply box had a green light, but the button on the printer stopped working. HP France has just sent me a new printer; the only solution offered.

All is extremely inconvenient, frustrating. Let's hope the replacement printer doesn't have the same defect.

In general, it seems the new corporatist method of defective manufacturing is simply to churn out bad products, then readily replace them with other badly made products. Down time, delivery arrangements, wait-time, set-up aggravations, complete loss of the purchased product while waiting for the new one, for the manufacturer such as HP this all seems to be of no concern. Easier for them to just fill the land-fills with defective machines.

Student
ffuller01
Message 7 of 25 (4,489 Views)

Same problem here. Took it back and got another one and it did the same thing. The only way it powers on is you have to unplug it from the outlet and plug it back in until the green light on the box that is on the cord comes on. I downloaded the firmware today and will try to use it again.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 8 of 25 (4,467 Views)

Hi ffuller01,

Any luck with the firware update?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Student
Phrede
Message 9 of 25 (4,245 Views)

+1 on the power issues.  IMHO there is a major firmware flaw.  The power button should NEVER not be effective.  Removing the power is forcing the next level reset.

A new printer, 7 days old and everytime I go to print I have to unplug it!  According to the on printer display I am running the latest version of everything.  The EWS is in the process of a SLOW download.  Not sure what it is.

I turned on auto power off and plan to let it shut the unit down to see if the power button works then. Then will turn the feature off and try again.  I know it is much longer than 2 hours before the unit locks up in the power off state, but can not say for sure how long.  36 hours?

HelP?

Honor Student
MomF
Message 10 of 25 (3,723 Views)

I recently purchased this printer and I am having the same issues....did you ever find a fix??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation