Question

Honor Student
donbear
Message 1 of 7 (4,319 Views)

HP Photosmart 8450 Inkjet Print Cartridge

What are the best cartridges for best quality photo printing?  My manual suggests different cartridges in a different order than the way my printer set up.  My printer has the following coloured tabs over the cartridge inserts left to right as follows: orange, green, black.  I'm getting lousy prints and it's likely old ink but before I invest in new cartridges, I want to know what I should be buying. 

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 7 (4,303 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 8450 Inkjet Print Cartridge

One of the combinations that I have heard recommended for that printer is 97, 99 and 100 for photos.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 7 (4,289 Views)

What country are you in?  At least the #97 cartridge is regionalized and will have a different number depending on the country the printer was purchased in.  As mentioned previously the best choice would be a Color (97), Photo (99), and Photo Gray (100).  

Page 18 of the manual here suggests:

584iA6739550B32A2E5D

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
busaied
Message 4 of 7 (4,178 Views)

Hello,

I have a photosmart 8453 which uses different numbering for the inks such as 130 for black. Can I use the inks mentioned above for my printer?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 7 (4,161 Views)

busaied wrote:

I have a photosmart 8453 which uses different numbering for the inks such as 130 for black. Can I use the inks mentioned above for my printer?

The cartridge numbers would be different in your region.  The color cartridge would be 135 or 134 (rather than 95 or 97), the photo cartridge would be 138 (rather than 99).  The 100 Photo Gray cartridge is the same in any region.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
busaied
Message 6 of 7 (4,153 Views)

Thank you for the clarification. However, even with the different numbers, can I still use them? Basically, my question is the only difference between the regions the numbers? The reason I am asking this is because, for some reason, retailers here don't stock the photo (138) and the gray (100) ink anymore. So if the numbers are the only difference then I can buy the ink from the US and have someone ship it to me.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 7 (4,149 Views)

The 138 is not compatible with the US 99 version.  The 100 cartridge is the same, you could buy 100's in any country and they would be compatible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation