Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thank you to all who have responded to this issue that I posted early in 2013, regarding making a change to a blown cap in my C4680 printer. However, my initial question was never really addressed by anyone who answered. 

I had changed the cap, per an earlier thread that I read on the problem by someone else, observing the "blown" characteristics of a bad cap and making sure the polarity was correctly identified on the new one. However, my printer still did not work--nothing, nada.

In my original question, I was seeking to find out if anyone knew of a secondary failure mode beyond the blow capacitor. Yet, those that responded (and I do appreciate your kindness of a response) were only letting me know that they changed the capacitor in their printer and life was good. (Someone before me came up with the fix--I cannot take credit!)

So, here's the scenario: I removed the but cap and installed a 16v 330-microFarad one but the printer still does not even come on. Does anyone know of a possible secondary failure mode or else a way to check whether the cap I installed is good? Thank you.

HP Recommended

This is supposedly a forum supported by HP (it's on their website), but the few HP employees that monitor these problems have offered zero suggestions except to run their HP diagnostics software.  You would think that they would report these problems back to the designers and developers and come back with some real solutions.  What even surprises me more is that HP  has not even offer a recall of the printer for a known problem.  There are several of you that have responded with solutions that would make better HP employees than the ones they have.

HP Recommended

I thought it might be a capacitator problem.  (Actually someone else told me.)  I was really hoping it was something I had the tools, and know-how, to fix.  First time I have had any hardware problem with an HP printer.

HP Recommended

I bought the capacitor (actually 3 of them in case I had a problem) for about $2.50 including postage from Digi-Key.  I replaced the capacitor and know the printer won't even turn on.  Yesterday I went out and bought a new printer (Canon Pixma MX452 for $80 at Best Buy).  I told the salesman I was looking for a good printer under $100, but did not want to look at any HP's.  I told him my problem with HP and he understood.  In six years I have owned 2 HP printers, now both trashed, an HP camera (812) also trashed, 2 HP laptops (trashed).  I am sick with the service and quality of product that HP puts out.  I will ever, never again purchase an HP product or give any kind of favorable recommendation of an HP product.  As far as the HP personnel that monitor this site, they have very little knowledge of the product or how to solve a problem.

HP Recommended

TEMPORARY FIX: remove touchscreen while on home screen, print from computer. You will have to block the door sensor on the back of the touchscreen, plug it back in (2 wire ribbons), and remove it again each time the printer is powered off or has gone to sleep mode. Best to have all print jobs queued up and paused, resume when ready. This works for print mode but does not allow for scanning.

STEP 2: Order the capacitor referenced in earlier comments.

HP Recommended

I changed the suspect cap which solved my cycling through front panel screens, but I still get a can't copy or scan message.  It appears that C172 is also bulged.  Has anyone else had problems with that cap?  I can't read the information off the cap.  Can anyone tell me the specifications of that cap so I can get a replacement before trying to remove it from the board.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I'm still waiting on my C162 in the mail, but my C172 says 6.3V 1000uF. I don't guess you need them, but the other markings are: KZE, (M) 105*C, 8 (k), NJ.

HP Recommended

Why does my HP Photosmart 4680 printer take 20 minutes (sometimes longer) just to START UP?!!

HP Recommended

Thanks to benaweb for the solution and the clear DIY instructions!

Just FYI, after my printer started freaking out I opened it up and discovered that there were actually two bad capacitors on the logic board: the thin, green one that says TEAPO (330uf 6.3v) and the short, fat green one that also says TEAPO (1000uf 6.3v). I ordered replacement capacitors on Amazon for a few bucks and swapped the bad ones out. Printer works fine now.

Also, ifixit.com has a good tutorial with photos on how to open the C4780 (very similar to the C4680) to clean the ribbon cables. The photos show where all the cables attach to the logic board, which helped me remember how to put everything back together.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the 2011 capacitor replacement tip. It worked great. But, please don't advice cutting off the capacitor before desoldering the leads. I had an awful time getting those wire stumps out. It's much better to have the cylinder to hold on to while heating the leads—unless you've got five hands or something. Then I had to hold a sewing needle with a vicegrip and carefully drill up the holes to fit the new leads.  It's so easy to wreck the board during the process. But, again, much thanks. The owner of the printer is mighty grateful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.