Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I never post to forums like these but I made the effort this time for a couple of reasons.  One, I can confirm that the capacitor replacement fix did solve my problem and would likely cure most people's problems with this printer.  The design is either flawed or the capacitor used is not to specification.  In either case HP should step up and fix the problem especially now that the cause and solution are well known.  I doubt I will buy another HP product after this fiasco unless I see a recall announcement from them in the very near future.  I was about to throw out the printer until I checked the internet one more time and found this solution.  I really didn't want to throw away a couple of unused cartridges that cost more than the printer originally did!

- Brad

HP Recommended

I am having the same problems that everyone else is having (printer copying, printing, scanning on its own) I've tried installing uninstalling and even magic spells and the thing still still doesn't work. I will try what Brad suggested in hopes that it works, I will keep you posted. I tried calling HP support but since our warranty has expired the only suggestion that they had for this problem is sending it to them for 'reconditioning' (a cost of approx $160.00) or just getting a newer model (cost about $409.00). I am extremely disappointed with this printer since we've only had it for a year, the problem just started a week ago. I agree with everyone, HP should recall it's defective component to keep customers happy and loyal. I will not buy another HP product, period. Thanks all for the posts and the fix it yourself suggestions.

HP Recommended

Thanks @benwaweb for the detailed instructions on taking the printer apart, diagnosing and how to fix.  It was just beeping continuously when I turned it on, but replacing the capacitor fixed it.  I found the right size capacitor at Cascade Surplus Electronics for $0.25 plus $3 USPS.  I’m certainly not accomplished with a soldering iron, but it’s an easy fix for anyone who knows what they’re doing or is feeling adventurous and has nothing to lose but a broken printer.

HP Recommended

I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to do this repair myself.

I have followed the instructions for taking the printer apart, including removing the circuit board.  After reviewing the capacitors, I saw one small green one with the TEAPO marking on it.  The top of the capacitor is curved upward.  All other capacitors are flat.  I was able to remove and now I'm awaiting the part.

It's nice to see someone post a solution with good instructions.  Especially for those of us who are only familiar with flux capacitors that power a DeLorean time machine.

I will keep you all posted on my quest.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions you posted 🙂 our printer is working!!!

HP Recommended

Does anyone have a video on how to fix this printer?? I have no idea what to do.  lol  Thank you!!! 🙂

HP Recommended

I opened up the printer to its logic board like it said and tried looking for the blown capacitor. Well, i cant find one. (Picture)rsz_2picture_072.jpg

I have the same problem of random stuff happening with the touchscreen

I also need to see the part so i can buy it, really dont know what it looks like.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

It's C182, next to the chip with the label on it.  Notice that the top is not flat like the other can capacitors on the board.  This bulge indicates it has failed.  Go to digikey.com and search for their part number P5125-ND.  It will cost you a quarter plus shipping/handling/etc.  The problem is that Digikey has a minimum order, maybe they have something you could use to bump up the order total.  Maybe you need to buy a soldering iron if you don't already have one 😉

HP Recommended

1/12/2012 - I sent the last 3 capacitors out last week.  I'm not planning on ordering anymore.  Hopefully someone else might be in a simliar position like I, and be willing to ship their surplus capacitors to those in need for a nominal fee.  It felt good to help those that I could.

Just fixed my C4680 printer, and now have (zero) extra 300uf 6.3V capacitors.  If your in a need for one, send $2 plus $1.71 for USPS First Class* shipping via Paypal, to racebaseresource at yahoo dot com, and I'll mail you one.

I was having the same issue with my C4680 printer.  Printer wouldn't completely boot, and if it did, it would go completely whacky when I attempted to print.  I could hear a high pitch squeal, and knew from previous experience it was a bad capacitor.   I ordered the smallest quanity I could (20), so now I have extras to share.

*after having one of the capacitors crushed in mailing, I found I needed to take some extra measures to ensure it arrives safely.  This meant marking the package as Fragile - Do Not Crush which results in a $1.71 USPS fee.

300uf6.3V.jpg

HP Recommended

Well, a BIG thank you to those who diagnosed the problem and offered outstanding guidance to resolve it. I plan on doing so myself, as this is my primary printer and cannot afford to buy another one.

I just have to say that I have made my LAST HP printer purchase as a result of the experience I've had with this printer. From difficulties getting it to work with my MacBook (as an AirPrinter using an Apple Airport Extreme) to the ridiculous consumption of ink, to this latest debacle - HP should be ashamed of themselves for lack of responsiveness and owning up to what is clearly a design flaw. I cannot tell you how many hours I wasted trying to remedy this last problem. And time is my most precious commodity. Time = $$$. Apparently HP has no respect for their customers' time, and places no value on customer retention.

While I was researching buying a new printer - I'm SO glad I don't have to now - I learned that HP inkjet printers have THE highest cost of ownership of any currently available, across all makes! That is because when you buy a new ink cartridge, you are essentially also buying a new print head, since they are integrated into each cartridge! What a total WASTE of money and resources!!! (And HP claims to be going green?!?!?!)

No, add all this up, and its definitely "caio" to HP. I cannot express how incensed I am at this whole situation!

The saddest part is, they probably don't even have anyone reviewing this forum, so this input isn't even going to be put to good use, let alone prompt some action on their part to compensate us all!

Normally cool, calm and collected,

AWP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.