Question

Student
Danny69
Message 1 of 4 (4,635 Views)

HP Photosmart C5280 Error Message

Aloha!

Hopefully someone can help me;

I have an error message which says in the title: "Printer cartridges" then in the text says "Refer to printer documentation".

Very frustrated as to it's vagueness but I checked in the back and there was bits of a terminated piece of A4 jammed in there. Got out all I could find and switched it back on to find it was no longer making a grinding noise, but it still had the same error message. I haven't tried new cartridges yet since I think the fuser might be damaged by the paper jam/un-jam but just wanted to check on with people who know about printers! :3

If anyone can give me a little bit of insight as to what's going on inside my printer I'd be much appreciative.

Tutor
mujju
Message 2 of 4 (4,609 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C5280 Error Message

Hi,

I belive that you are getting Error Message "Printer Cartridges"  - refer to printer documentation"

Make sure that you are using HP Geniune cartridges

Make sure the tape has been removed from the cartridge. If the tape has not been removed, remove it now

Make sure that you are using Compatible cartridges ie. Black inkjet ink cartridge HP 74, Tri-color inkjet ink cartridge HP 75
Student
DReale
Message 3 of 4 (2,676 Views)

I have this same problem.

I am using genuine HP cartridges.  Have them in the right places.  Don't have any tape or foreign material on them.  Have the right type of cartridges (74 and 75) and I even replaced the color cartridge because I knew it was getting low on ink.  I am still getting the message "Printer Cartridges"  "Refer to Printer Documentation".   For the past few days I've been emailing what I need to print to myself so I can print it from my husband's desktop to his printer but I won't continue long,  If I can't get this solved soon, the printer's going to the landfill and when I replace it, I'll think twice about what brand printer to replace it with because this printer has been the most annoying HP printer I've ever owned and I have owned MANY HP printers over the years. 

Student
gbs1043
Message 4 of 4 (2,256 Views)

You are correct about the 5280 printer being HORRIBLE. The cartridge error is common and HP does not have a fix. You can buy new cartridges and install them and still get the error. This mostly occurs with the color cartridges. This is happening, beacuse there is a chip in the cartridge and if the interface is not reading the cartridge properly, you get an error. HP did this to prenent people from refilling cartridges. In the process. they've created a junk, unreliable product not worthy of taking home. If I were you, I would just chuck this piece of junk..Or as my friend Carl would say. " This thing's junk, throw it out" !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation