Question

Top Student
cpatterson
Message 1 of 16 (8,221 Views)

HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-One Printer, Ink System Failure.

Our company provided, approx 2 years ago, 2 Photosmart C6380's to one of our client businesses. Around the turn of the year, one of the users contacted us with an error whenever he's away from the printer for a while : the "Ink System Failure" message. I went to the location, verified the message, and started research. The users had already freshly replaced the print cartridges, so I went to a "cleaning" step, and made sure all contacts were clean of residual ink. This had no effect, so I went to the dreaded "full reset", hitting the required secret key combo, and setting the device back to factory defaults. After setting the machine back on the wireless network, the end of the day was near, so I told the supervisor that the next step recommended by HP, was a new Print Head. I hated throwing money at the problem, but that was the best I had at the time. I told her I would research further, and to let me know if the full reset had any effect. 

She contacted me two days later, to say that the problem was still evident, and asked that we look for a replacement print head. Performing the necessary wild gyrations through the purchasing section of HP's site, I was able to locate, and order, a replacement print head, installed a couple of weeks later. A week or more went by with no response from the end user, and I thought we had it under control. I called the end user one morning, expecting to close the book on this little mess, when he told me that he'd just been too busy to call, but that it was still acting up. One of my associates picked up the printer to retun to the shop, while I prowled the web looking for more answers. The only discovery I did make, was that he didn't need to competely reboot the printer (a 7 minute process) to clear the error, just lift the lid slightly, and lower it again, but about the time I found that, the client called to inform me that the second 6380 we had given them, was now doing the exact same thing. 

So, here I am, wondering if there's anything else left to try. I realize the devices are out of warranty, but I've got HP 500c's still sitting in a warehouse, slowly churning out black and white invoices, while a two year old gem is looking more like a chunk of sugar-crystal. Any ideas, anyone?

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 16 (8,146 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-One Printer, Ink System Failure.

Hi cpatterson

Was there a particular error code ("0xc____) after the Ink System Failure message?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01458034&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

Thanks, Ciara 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
cpatterson
Message 3 of 16 (8,143 Views)

yup. 

'0xc19a0023'

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 16 (8,140 Views)

....and you've tried cleaning & re-installing the printhead on the C6380?

Top Student
cpatterson
Message 5 of 16 (8,135 Views)

...so I went to a "cleaning" step, and made sure all contacts were clean of residual ink....

... I was able to locate, and order, a replacement print head, installed a couple of weeks later.

Thanks for the reply, Ciara. 

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 6 of 16 (8,104 Views)

You're very welcome :smileyhappy:

Top Student
cpatterson
Message 7 of 16 (8,081 Views)

that's it? No other replies?

Top Student
paulsteb
Message 8 of 16 (8,033 Views)

I have also experienced this and other problems, it started by printing blank documents ( no black ) i then carried out a print quality report, it printed horizontal images of each of the colour cartridges with amount left in them but no text. the sunfower image didn't have black in them either. i have tried cleaning the head and have replaced all the cartridges which are now nearly run out again. i have done all the recomended headcleaning sugestions.

after doing the reset ( pull the power lead out while powered up and wait 15 sec ) it now comes up with aligning print head failed and ink system failure 0xc19a0013.

Please can you help.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 9 of 16 (7,983 Views)

Hi paulsteb

In the document below there is a section for 0xc19a0013. You've already cleaned the printhead and resetting the printer but maybe check that the cartridges are vented correctly....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01458034&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

Best Regards

Ciara

Top Student
paulsteb
Message 10 of 16 (7,960 Views)

Hi, i am now on my second set of cartridges but i have checked they are vented correctly and it makes no difference.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation