Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well, I fiddled with it and tried to take it apart - another thing to hate about this printer...the top won't open enough to see most of the insides. Plugged it in a few times and it finally started working.

Next problem - and isn't there always a next one? - it wasn't recognized by the network. Nothing I did changed that. I finally had to completely uninstall/delete everything associated with this printer and reinstall and I finally got it to work.

Next problem - told ya! - I'm back to color printing and no black printing. I've changed the preference - nothing happens. I've tried changing the default - nothing. The printer will show itself as printing black from the black cartridge only but the paper that comes out is color.

I didn't use to have this problem so I'm wondering if HP screwed something up with the updates. I'm about ready to uninstall - AGAIN - and try to install just the original disc and forget the updates. I'm so completely frustrated with this and the fact that HP won't support their defects.

HP Recommended

Hi all

Have the same problem- my C7280 is not printing in black- all works fine - it makes noise like it was suppose to print but pages come blank and no black print coming out. I tried all forum methods- semi reset, factory settings, alcohol injection, burping, service menu setup, 6 and hash reset and all it goes for noth. Now I have put all my printer apart which took me 2 hours but if you know what to do- it's easy enough to take like 20 minutes. My top of the printer lies aside and I have photo diode blinded with a sticker for constant tests... tried cleaning printhead with vodka, checked all the main pipes up to the printhead and I can see they are moving liquid inside. I tried to print many black and white scanner copies cos it is how I test it now and the only result is that my ink level dropped drasticly- dunno how if it still not prining black (black dropped by a half). I put a mainboard out and reconnected all the cables- nothing. I tried to rotate pump motor to force in some ink but didn't want to force too much in not brake something so the only result was that it leveled up pressure as soon as I stopped. It can't be software issue as I try to print thru copy option. Still considering buying new compatibile inks- as I still see a chance that it's low ink level that cause black to stop but still its a bit not logical to me. If not this- last step I am considering is buying whole printhead and changing it (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/318468050/Compatible_Printhead_for_HP363.html).  Still it might be some electronics on mb but as we can't really have schematics it is hard to figure out. Already spent 10 quid for new genuine black ink and I don't know if it's worthy spending more funds.The only reason I'm doing it is that I really like this All in One classic printer as you can't find the one so cute in white colour now-a-days...

UPDATE:

Just received used one- tested mainboard from it and can confirm- it's not a mainboard problem... will try to disassembly printhead and try to refill pipes manually if I will have enough patience...

HP Recommended

Wow, this problem needs a lot of work. I lost a lot of money buying new ink cartirdge everytime my hp c7280 will not print. I thought there's a little creature inside trying to pinch the cartridge and put it in its own container, I would agree that this hp c7280 will not allow us to fully open and see what is in the inside. It might be that we have a different course of problem here but I got a help from my techie neighbor and we did a total reset on the printer. He refer the steps from this website How to reset all-in-one printer. It was worth all the hard work. Well, despite of what happen, I am still with HP. 🙂

HP Recommended

Mate- I tried to reset it about 20 times- # and 6 method and service menu as well- for my kind of fault it didn't work. Even changing mainboard with a new-used model didn't change anything- so it must be printhead itself. I lost a lot of cartridges as well on trying - but a cheap ones. It was spitting empty pages but after a while it was showing empty cartridge none the less... probably electronical module in cartridge. I tried to force EPA in the printhead with a siringe but the only difference was that it started to printe light black smudge- so probably somewhere inside a printhead there is stucked channel of what so ever. Then not having any other option and new replacement- I forced in even more EPA- brakin everything all the way:) No I have new printer with only stalled pump problem once a while-but that works after reseting:) Had no patience and wish for getting painted again to change pump motor again. And no- it is not hard to take this printer apart- you just need to learn how to do that... Regards and best wished with still cutest All in One printer on the market

HP Recommended

I had this problem and changed the cartridge, cleaned the printhead, manually cleaned printhead with hot water and let it dry before reinstalling, purchased and installed a new printhead - all suggestions from HP and other users - to no avail.  Finally I uninstalled the HP software and viola!  the printer started printing again in black (and every other color)!  Is something "built in" to the HP software to account for this failure?  Don't know - but it's pretty suspicious.  But, good news, my 6500 is up and running again!  By the way, I'm still using the original printhead so that had nothing to do with it.  Would love to hear from others about your experience of my fix!

HP Recommended

Congratulations mate but C6500 is not C7280 and you can't clean printhead without taking whole printer apart... The other thing software way is not and option for that fault of C7280 as I have restored whole software to factory settings- which means it cuts off all the binds to any PC/Laptop and it still doesn't print on integrated printers copy black and white button... Thanks for sharing you happiness anyway:) I'm still waiting for any nice all in one printer from HP that comes out in white colour...

HP Recommended

looks like I am the latest victim of the NON BLACK PRINTING... changed black cartridges, cleaned printhead, aligned... did print test pages... all is well but my BLACK went away.. no other way to describe it.  My laptop and all work fine.... so, I am not going any farther with this nonsense.  i am contacting HP... giving them this link... obviously I don't see ANY HP person giving a good solution... and it has to do with either the MANUFACTURING OF A FAULTY PRINTER... or did they update?  THEY NEED TO TELL US... SICK OF THIS... I spent a lot of money on this C7280... totally a very temperamental printer... jams often, too.... lousy small amount of paper it holds, too.   OH well... guess I better get on to contacting HP... i can't get my business papers printed!!!!

any new GOOD NEWS how to fix or what went wrong ???

HP Recommended

200 messages and HP isn't the least bit interested!

It isn't a printhead issue as I can certainly copy in black. The problem for me is that I use the "Preferences" to change to print black cartridge only and it continues to print in color only. It has been this way for quite a long time (my printer is about 4 1/2 years old but wasn't used much for a couple of years.) There've been issues regarding the network and I finally just plugged it in with USB - HP's website says there are issues with this printer and WiFi. What makes me angry is, if a printer is this buggy, why isn't HP giving us deep discounts on other printers? Reminds me of Microsoft and Vista (yes, I have Vista too)!

I'm not getting blank pages so it isn't an ink issue. It just refuses to print with the black cartridge. I messed around with it a while back and got it to print in black but it then refused to print in color! I would say that, since it doesn't seem to be mechanical - and there are plenty of people on this forum who've spent a lot of money trying to fix it and replacing parts, etc., so it's a pretty safe bet that it is a software issue, which means that HP SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIX IT WITH AN UPDATE. SO IT PUZZLES ME THAT HP ISN'T PAYING ANY ATTENTION AT ALL TO THIS VERY PREVALENT PROBLEM!!!

This was a very expensive printer so it is maddening that HPs solution is basically to dump it and get a new one. That sounds like an objective solution...NOT! Shame on HP for not addressing it and for not getting involved in this discussion.

HP Recommended
Hi again. Columbia- your fault seems to be software issue. Try reseting it to factory settings if you haven't tried. Aldo try on different pc as it might be your Vista perfect drivers library:) Anyway if it copies in black but not printing from pc- it doesn't look like printheads/hardware issue. What also was problem with that printer it was big capacitors at mainboard that could play a pranks. But as you have problem for so many years I would try pc.
Once again- what you see on the ink cartridge is not printhead but just contacts for electric circuit of small module built into cartridge. Cartridge in nozzle as it seems was a better solution but was forfeit in newer series. My previous hp had one ( think it was called 930cxi or spmething similar). Anyway printhead is hidden deep inside on the rail- and it is connected to cartridges with flexible hosetape. Cartridges are fixed in one possition so how they can have printheads:)
One last thing to mention or repeat- I couldn't make it spit black in any way as I was testing it on fast black&white copying.
My replacement I bought on ebay had stalled pump issue but was luckily fixed by factory reset.
Good luck guys- wish you ever-working printers and Merry Christmas:)
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.