Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@columbia93 wrote:

I'm sure it is software related; however, probably not a Vista issue. I say that because it worked fine when I first brought it home. I'll admit my problem isn't the same as the OP as my black ink cartridge works, it's just that the communication with the printer isn't working with making it print in black ink. And, because some people are able to fix their printer with # 6, I'm more willing to believe it is an HP issue and not a Vista issue. [snip]

I would bet the issue is not due to an update or other software issue.  You can check this by printing a diagnostic page as described in Step 4 of this document.  If black does not print properly on that page the issue is not related to the computer or the drivers, as they are not used to print the diagnostic page.

Bet all you want but, if you'd read my post you would see that I have been able to print with black ink only. The problem is in the communication with the printer, thus my comment regarding SOFTWARE. It will print in black with the Properties directive and then it will quit and, using the preloaded black ink option, will still print in color. I can fiddle with the program/software and get it to print in black but then it won't print in color. I also notice that, at times, the Properties change on the printer -- not as many or the same options, etc. All of these problems point to a software issue. Period. As for the diagnostic page -- as I am not an idiot AND I've fiddled extensively with the printer, I've done the diagnostic, cleaning, etc. There is nothing wrong with my black printing - it is just with the communication = SOFTWARE!

My addn'l comment on the black ink was for my sister's printer. SHE seems to be experiencing the more severe issue in that the problem keeps her from printing at all. Again, she cannot print...I can. I also have to reinstall the software now and again because it spontaneously changes the advanced options screen. I've also had to go to a USB connection because it messes up even more with wireless - and HP has put out there that the wireless does cause issues and connecting with USB can solve some of them....ALSO seems like a punk way of bandaging a pretty poor (yet expensive) product.

HP Recommended

I had the exact same communication problems that columbia93 described. 

I finally gave up and bought a HP printer. 

HP Recommended

Same story here. Did all the troubleshooting, new ink, etc.  Called customer service and did all troubleshooting with them for second time.  MY WARRANTY EXPIRED 3 DAYS BEFORE THE BLACK INK FAILURE!  HP would not fix or replace the printer because of this.  What they said they would do was sell me a new and improved printer for a generous price of just $149.00. I declined.  I will no longer purchase any HP product.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I been trying to google my problem with my C7280, and this is the closet thread I can find that matches my problem.  The only way I can describe it is that my printer selectively prints black.  My fiance is trying to print 3 etix tickets she bought online.  The black on upcoming concerts displays fine.  As far as the ticket on the left side of the page is concerned

It prints the black bar code at the top.  It prints the black in the etix logo.  It prints the the ticket count and additional black bar codes at the bottom.  The middle part of the ticket where the date, location, etc is displayed in black, however, does not print.  Whether I try to print in grayscale or color, I get the same problem.

This isn't unique to the etix website.  Last week we went on a long distance trip and when I used google maps or excel, the black directions or lists did not print.  I had to copy them into a Word document and change the font color.  Then it printed. 

Any ideas would be much appreciated.  This printer was a gift from her dad and it seems every couple of weeks it requires a Nightmarish amount of time to troubleshoot.

HP Recommended
THIS WORKED FOR ME! My problem was my HP Photosmart C8180 would not print green or blue ink. It uses an HP02 ink cartridge, so I used a damp paper towel to wipe off gold contacts and ink openings with clean side of cloth on those colors and now they print perfectly! Many thanks.
HP Recommended

The solution to my problem was to buy a new black shiny Canon MG5350.

After trying again all the suggestions I gave up. I had some birthday money and after researching online reviews bought the Canon MG5350 £69.99 from Currys. It has great reviews and as a card maker the rear feed is a big bonus and will take upto 350gsm card. HP. limited to 200gsm.

Hubby now has my C7280 and is going to take it apart to see if he can fix it. He lives in hope!!!!! LOL

HP Recommended

Have same issue no black on my C7280 - been a loyal HP printer user for many years. May now be time to change sides!!

HP Recommended

hksunshine,

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the cartridges on the Photosmart C7280? I would like you to take a look at Solutions 3 & 4 in this troubleshooting document to try and resolve No black ink on your printouts.

Please let me know the outcome, I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

[edited]

check and verify the ink nozzel plate in the printer is not cloded and verify its properly vented

Chris S

HP Recommended

I tried all the solutions but least expemsive repair, and only one that worded was to dumpt the C7280 and buy a new Brother's  MFC-J875DW with a 3 year warranty.  Thanks to all who made suggestions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.