HP Photosmart C7280 = Carriage Jam (5143 Views)
Top Student
DataSafe
Message 1 of 6 (5,143 Views)

HP Photosmart C7280 = Carriage Jam

[ Edited ]

Hi guys

I have an HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One printer.

When I switch the printer on, the initialisation process begins and the carriage moves to  the left and then to right, when it reaches the right most point there's a dreadfull screaching sound for about a second and the LCD displays a message asking to clear the carriage jam.

I can't move the carriage manually any further to the right and it's not reaching the cleaning pad on the extreme right. There appears to be a cleaning pad between two black plastic vertical lugs and it's these vertical lugs that seem to be stopping the carriage moving to the cleaning pads. I can slide the black lugs to the reat which seems to raise a platform holding a white pad, but as soon as I let go, this platform and the lugs move back into the path of the carriage.

Any ideas? There's no paper jam.

Cheers

John

Message Edited by DataSafe on 12-17-2008 11:45 AM
Top Student
DataSafe
Message 2 of 6 (5,090 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C7280 = Carriage Jam

Sorry to bump this to the top!
Honor Student
dbams
Message 3 of 6 (4,963 Views)

Hi,

I have an HP Officejet Pro L7650 All-in-One that is having the same problem.  My daughter printed 12-15 pages on card stock before Christmas, and the printer hasn't been right since, although at least it did still print.  Last week it started with the carriage jam problem, and I haven't been able to print since.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?  I really need my printer back!

Thanks!

Top Student
DataSafe
Message 4 of 6 (4,961 Views)

I went to HP's support pages and chose to 'chat online'. Had to go through quite a few tests before it was concluded there was a hardware error. They provided a link with a local telephone number. I rang the number and they're sending me a new replacement printer arriving 8th January.

Can't fault that

From what I have read about this printer on various forums, it's considered to be a bit of a dog!

John

Tutor
robwhitener
Message 5 of 6 (4,955 Views)

As much as this printer cost, I hope it doesn't turn out to be a dog..  Haven't had that problem yet though.

The only thing I've run into so far, is the Duplexer not installed error message...

Honor Student
dbams
Message 6 of 6 (4,938 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion to chat on-line.  I did, and had the same result as you - a hardware problem.  Unfortunately, my printer is out of warranty, so I will have to pay to get it repaired or replaced.  At least I know I did as much as I could myself before shelling out the cash.

I thought this printer was pretty good, but not nearly as nice as my old HP PSC 500.  That was a great printer, and it worked forever!  Couldn't handle Windows XP very well, though, and did finally start to give out.  Wish they still made them like that.

Thanks again for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation