Question

Honor Student
denking27
Message 1 of 5 (6,612 Views)

HP Photosmart C7280 Power issue with flashing lights

I have seen many posts on the web regarding flashing lights and incorrect shut downs.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/Photosmart-C5180-Power-Up-Power-Down-Problem-L...

I have tried everything including the "*,#" with "1,2,3" to reset the printer and I have the power cord plugged into a direct outlet, not a power strip, and nothing works.  Even if I do get the printer reset and it works, shortly later the lights will start flashing again and I see a blue screen with a power button symbol and some varying code (00729C98) - it varies each time.  It flashes after a short time even if I power down correctly - all on its own if plugged in.  Is there a defect with faulty part on the control board?  If so who do I take it to to get it fixed?  The printer is less than 2 years old.

Honor Student
tim-au
Message 2 of 5 (5,775 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C7280 Power issue with flashing lights

I recently had the same problem with an HP Photosmart C7280, the same model as yours. I eventually managed to get through to HP Technical Support, and they advised that the unit would have to be replaced. I think if you call through, you can get a refurbished model for a cheaper rate.

Before calling technical support, I tried all the steps that have been recommended in various posts, but nothing helped. To the best of my knowledge - and I really tried to get my printer working - the unit is dead.

(Although this is an old post, I came across it when trying to fix the same issue. So, hopefully this will help anyone else who stumbles upon this post. Some other codes my printer showed on the HP "blue screen of death" were B83FCB56, B0075110 and B02BAEC3.)

Regards

Tim

Top Student
ktsouthgate
Message 3 of 5 (5,751 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had a similar problem with my Photosmart D5163 and after investigating and following up see "http.fixya.com/support/t5821942-hp_photosmart_c6180_continually_powers"  my problem was solved. Check the capacitors on the control board as this seems a common problem with HP PCB's causing the switching off and on of its own accord. By the way i'm running Windows 7 Ultmate with the latest printer driver updates.

Honor Student
Soarman
Message 4 of 5 (5,423 Views)

I am getting the same 00729C98 error message.  What is really crazy is after I have powered down the printer for the day I come back in the morning and the lights are flashing.  In reading the other posts I guess the machine is dying.  I am disappointed In HP and will probably go back to Epson.

Student
travlinman
Message 5 of 5 (2,800 Views)

I had the same problem with my HP C7280 a couple of years ago.  It took several cycles of shutting the power off and back on again, but after that I NEVER turned the power off again.  I've had no further problem with the printer.  I leave the power on and it eventually goes to sleep, but starts up again when I send a document to it for printing.  I don't think it uses much power in sleep mode.

Hope it works for you...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation