Question

Honor Student
mnp13
Message 1 of 2 (629 Views)

HP Photosmart D7160 paper jam error and clicking sound

I have a D7160 that has been working great, and yesterday started making a clicking sound when I start it up. It clicks and sort of grinds when I turn it on, and then the screen says there is a paper jam and that I should open the back and remove the paper.

I have never run stickers, labels or other items through the printer. I have only used HP photo paper in it, and occasionally printed on regular copy paper. No thin papers, no paper jams, no stuck or torn paper.

This printer literally sat for about two years at my parent's house unused until they loaned it to me about a month ago. I doubt there have been more than 250 pages put through it total.

My other HP printer broke a lever inside of it, so I have to take the side panel off of it to make it "understand" that the cover is closed. I'm wondering if this is something similar (a broken gear or lever), but I can't figure out where to look or what it might be.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Michelle

Student
ElsieSL
Message 2 of 2 (504 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart D7160 paper jam error and clicking sound

This happens periodically.  Evenutally it "fixes itself," but I'm not sure what it is.  I've cleaned the rollers, the toner heads, printed an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet (which prints fine), reloaded paper, made sure paper was not curled or there wasn't too much in the tray, made sure the side hold bar wasn't too tight, etc. etc.  Try disconnecting the printer from both power and the PC.  Reboot, then reconnect the printer.  Print a test page.  Try again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation