Question

Tutor
Login_name
Message 1 of 12 (5,634 Views)

HP Photosmart Plus b209a prints lines through photos

[ Edited ]

The printer is a few weeks old, but it never printed out photos correctly. There are vertical lines through landscape photos, and horizontal lines through potrait photos (this happens when I'm connected both via USB and wireless). The strange thing is that it prints photos perfectly when I print a test photo from the installation program (both via USB and wireless).

I've been sent a replacement printer, but that didn't help. Now I've been in touch with HP support via mail over the last couple of weeks, but thats going nowhere - being asked the same (already answered) questions over and over again. I've been asked to try using the wrong paper size settings, various quality settings, upgrading drivers, etc. (was even asked to try using the wrong drivers, but that just crashed the printer).

I'm using a HP Compaq 8510p, running 64bit Windows 7. My wife uses an IBM thinkpad (32bit Windows 7), and she has the same problem. At this point I'm not really expecting much from HP support any more, so hopefully someone on this forum might be able to help me.

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 2 of 12 (5,598 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart Plus b209a prints lines through photos

Copy the photos to a memory card and try to print directly from the printer. This should tell us if this is a software or a hardware issue.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 12 (5,577 Views)

Are the lines regurlarly spaced? What is the spacing of the lines?  Is it different when printing in Best mode vs. Normal?  Are the lines dark, light or a color?

Print a diagnostic page as shown in solution six here.  Does the diagnostic page print the color bars properly?

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
Login_name
Message 4 of 12 (5,553 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Binary_Zen,

Had to buy more Photo paper. It prints a perfect photo from a memory card. Also prints perfect photos from a PC when running the installation program (the final step allows you to print a test photo). No problems with "regular" printing either. Any ideas?

Tutor
Login_name
Message 5 of 12 (5,548 Views)

Hi Bob,

The lines are reularly spaced, about 13.5 mm apart. As to their color, over darker areas they are whitish while over brighter areas the lines are dark. Looking closer at some of the photos its not just that there are lines, but more like stripes (gradients are almost repeating giving a faint "solid stripe" effect).

I went through all the steps in the troubleshooter you recommended before getting the replacement printer (and new ink cartridges).

The test page is fine, no problems at all with normal printing, it's just photo printing from a PC that is a problem. Have tried different quality settings, but the lines are always there.

My gut feeling is that it's a setting somewhere that's mismatched, but there are so many! I mean how can it print a test photo perfectly from PC's when running the installation program, but not when printing normally from Windows Photo Viewer. I pick the settings that exactly match the paper, but it just doesn't print right.

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 6 of 12 (5,529 Views)

Which software are you printing from? I know you have already tried a lot of different settings but I just want to try replicating the problem on my B209a.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 12 (5,524 Views)

The banding at 13.5mm sounds like you are printing in draft mode, which would not be suitable for photo's.  When printing from Windows Photo Viewer select "Best" for quality rather than "automatic" and also select the appropriate paper type rather than "automatic".

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
Login_name
Message 8 of 12 (5,516 Views)

Binary_Zen,

I'm printing directly from Windows Photo Viewer, and the PhotoViewer.dll version is 6.1.7600.16385. The OS is 64bit Windows 7 Enterprise (6.1.7600 Build 7600), and my laptop is a HP Compaq 8510p.

I've installed the latest drivers for the printer from a link i got from HP support. I uninstalled everything that was installed from the product CD, and then downloaded and installed from this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-71763-3&lc=sv&dlc=sv&cc=se&....

The version for this package is 14.1.0.

Tutor
Login_name
Message 9 of 12 (5,514 Views)

Bob,

I've been selecting Normal and Best for quality, and I explicitly select the paper size too, which matches exactly the HP photo paper I use. No settings are left on "automatic".

Could my selection be overridden by some global setting (a registry setting, or something like that), forcing the quality to draft?

Student
Alessia
Message 10 of 12 (5,441 Views)

Similar problem here...

Hello!

I just bought the HP Photosmart Plus 209 and I get lines through the photos.

I use the Advanced HP paper, best quality selected.

I get the lines when printing with the cable and in wireless mode as well.  

When I insert the card directly into the printer, I get no lines, but:

a. the colors are not as vivid

b. the printed image does not print complete (I did not select crop, it just does not print from the top)

Can this be solved? Should I return it and get an exchange?

I want the best HP printer for printing photos at home and so far, what has been printed out does not impress me.

Please help.

Many thanks in advance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation