Question
HP Photosmart c309a Black Ink won't print
Replies (25)

Student
eaglebtc
Message 11 of 26 (5,160 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart c309a Black Ink won't print

[ Edited ]

Great tip with the water, thanks!  I had the same problem with the C309a, where it wouldn't print photo black or yellow.  I soaked the bottom of the printhead in a bowl of hot water for about 3 minutes, during which the most foul-looking ink floated away from the head.  Then I blotted the head and plastics dry with a paper towel, waited another 5 minutes, and put it back in the printer.

I ran the cleaning test and started printing some photos.  The very first print looked 1000x better, and everything after that was golden.

Student
Bowenmw
Message 12 of 26 (4,855 Views)

I've purchased all new ink cartridges within the last six months.... The print head on my C309a series printer continually cloggs and stops printing. I have cleaned the head as described by the several articles that have been posted, and I have been able to get it to print. However, when it sits for 1 or two days without printing than its back to the same problem. This would be such a cool printer if I could only depend on it. I have and HP lab top and his is my second HP printer. However, I am extremely disappointed in this product to date. Ink is still way to expensive and with the unreliability issues I am dealing with. I will be probable be looking in a different direction then HP for my next printer which in now on my Christmas list...

Mike

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 13 of 26 (4,844 Views)

Bowenmw wrote:

I've purchased all new ink cartridges within the last six months.... The print head on my C309a series printer continually cloggs and stops printing. I have cleaned the head as described by the several articles that have been posted, and I have been able to get it to print. However, when it sits for 1 or two days without printing than its back to the same problem. This would be such a cool printer if I could only depend on it. I have and HP lab top and his is my second HP printer. However, I am extremely disappointed in this product to date. Ink is still way to expensive and with the unreliability issues I am dealing with. I will be probable be looking in a different direction then HP for my next printer which in  now on my Christmas list...

Mike

The symptoms you describe are not normal for this (or any) printer, it is an indication of something amiss.  One possibility is that the printheads are not being properly parked.  This could be caused by turning off the printer from an external switch (like an outlet switch or a power conditioner switch.  Are you using an external switch to turn off the printer?  Another possibility is that the capping station (used to keep the printheads from drying out) has become damaged or misaligned.  In this case the printer would require service.

Soaking the printhead as described in this post may help resolve the immediate issue, but if the capping station is not working the problem will recur.  You should also make sure the vents are clear as described in the link above.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
elraidor
Message 14 of 26 (4,835 Views)

I have the same problem!!  Printer is 18 months old. How are you supposed to run a business with a printer this unreliable?  Prints color, will not print black, brand new HP cartridges.  Realigned heads, cleaned heads, rebooted, powered up and down and up.

Warranty tool on the website cannot find the serial and product number.  The auto detection software fails on install.  The website provides no way of contacting support - just leads you around in endless circles.

Frustrated HP - this is a very poor product.  Waste of money and you can be sure I'll be blogging about this.

Top Student
AnnS
Message 15 of 26 (4,704 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart c309a printhead won't realign

Several months ago, I had a problem with black not printing, so I followed Bob Headrick's hot water routine. It took 7 tries, but finally the printhead ran clean. I then had a printhead-not-realigning failure, which resolved, but this time when the printhead wouldn't print color or black, I soaked the printhead again, replaced the empty black cartridge, reinitialized, but then the printhead will not realign. What can we try next?

Tutor
Gary_W_A
Message 16 of 26 (4,701 Views)

I still use the "hot water" trick on the printheads of 2 C309a printers.  Each printer sits idle for ~6 months (winter home - summer home).  When I finish soaking the printhead so that the hot water runs clear I then dry it as best I can by either setting it out in the sun or gently blow drying with a hair dryer.  Still, I find that if I install it too soon, I will get either printhead errors or one or more of the ink tanks will not flow properly.  If I wait at least an hour and let it finish air drying, then it will work properly.

Also gently wipe the electrical contacts on both the printhead and the carriage where the printhead makes contact.

I can only assume that there must still be moisture around the electrical contacts that prevent it from working correctly.  I remember one time I couldn't get one working after hand drying, so I went out to dinner, came back a couple hours later, installed the printhead & cartridges and it then worked.

I've also had to run the Clean Printhead routine from the HP Toolbox installed on the PC a couple times.  I try to avoid doing that as it uses a lot of ink, but sometimes I have no choice.

Student
papple36
Message 17 of 26 (4,227 Views)

Thanks Bob great advice and it worked like a charm
Student
willie398
Message 18 of 26 (4,119 Views)

Wow. I tried everything, cleaning the cartridges, installing new ones, going through the set up and installation a few times. and still no black printing. Did what you suggested and it worked. I'm happy as a dog. Feel like a have a new printer. Thank You very very much.

Student
bjepsen
Message 19 of 26 (3,917 Views)

I also have a Photosmart c309a that it keeps running through all of the photoblack despite the fact that I am not printing photos. I was told there might be a way to change the quality settings so that this doesn't continue, but I don't know how. Please help! All this ink is costing a fortune!

Teacher
filgrastin
Message 20 of 26 (3,104 Views)

How did you remove the printhead?  I purchased a defective ink cartridge from Staples, and although they replaced it with a new one the defective cartridge rendered my printer unusable.  I can send faxes but when I receive them they are completely blank.  My printer will not align (alignment failed message) and therefore the printer is now more or less obsolete.  HP offered me a reconditioned printer for $199.00 but I declined and plan to purchase another printer NOT HP) in the near future.   My printers have always been Hewlett-Packard and until I purchased the 309a I never had a problem the the current problem with the 309a is one of many.  I would buy a printhead if I knew how to remove the current one but I am afraid if I buy a printhead my printer still will not work.  I am willing to soak it if I can remove it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation