Question

Tutor
purefog
Message 1 of 27 (26,919 Views)

HP cartridge now "not compatible"?

I have a Photosmart 7960 printer.  It suddenly started showing the error message "black/gray cartridge incompatible."  I cleaned it and the contacts -- it's got plenty of ink -- and power-rebooted, but I just keep getting that message.  Not only is the cartridge an HP cartridge, but it worked just fine on every use until the message came up.  I guess my question is:  Are there other causes for that error message other than an actually "incompatible cartridge"?
Teacher
andmalc
Message 2 of 27 (26,897 Views)

Re: HP cartridge now "not compatible"?

It may be expired.  Check the date on it.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 27 (26,827 Views)

The Photosmart 7960 cartrdiges do not have an expiration date that would cause this issue, but the cartrdige may have failed.  Clean the cartridge and printer contacts, if this does not resolve the problem you may need a reaplacement cartrdige.  You can check the cartridge warranty as shown here.  If the cartrdige is still under warranty contact your dealer or HP for a replacement.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Moneyhelp
Message 4 of 27 (26,361 Views)

I have the same problem with my j4550 officejet with the black cartridge.  The expiration date on the black cartridge is 11/8/2010.
Honor Student
Cyborg
Message 5 of 27 (25,587 Views)

I have the exact same problem with my HP Officejet J4550 All-in-One. I purchased the HP901XL Black Cartridge, which run at ~ $31.00 each. This particular cartridge appears to be deffective. I purchased a new cartridge (HP901 Black) and replaced the cartridge and device is  working  fine. This is the first time I have encountered this problem and I have had the CC654A (OfficeJet J4550 All-In-One)  for about 10 months. I just got of the phone with HP for about one hour, and they will be sending me a replacement. The expiration date of the deffective cartridge: 2011/05/02, part number of cartridge: CC654A.
Student
lilac1024
Message 6 of 27 (23,780 Views)

Can you tell what the causes are for "incompatible cartridge"?  I am having issues repeatably with the HP60 and HP901 cartrdiges.  "Check color cartridge" is also a frequent message that locks me out.  This is happening on cartridges will not a lot of pages printed, but also happens (even more often) when I try to refill a cartridge.  It seems that there is a significant problem with these cartridges as compared to previous HP products I have had the pleaseure to own!  Is there a known problem that HP is working on?

HS 

Student
LnHof
Message 7 of 27 (23,714 Views)

I just have the same issue with HP Officejet J4550 All-in-One Tri-color HP-901 - only used it for less than 10 pages color and has expiration date of 2011/04/21.  Called Tech. support, spend more than 1 hour with them, went thru' all kind of test (connect the printer to the wall outlet, power off and on, cleaning the cartridge and printer contact points with lint-free cloth and water while the printer power was on).  I am not so sure how safe to stick a wet cloth into a printer's cartridge contact point with power on.....  I explained to them that it is the cartridge issue (caused I replaced the black toner before) but they seems to think it is the printer.  Nothing was resolved. 

They told me, including two supervisors, since these cartridges came with the printer, it will not last even if you hardly use them and will dry up on you even before the expiration date.  According to the supervisors, these cartridges are for the new printer's alignment purpose only and will only work for less than 10 pages of printing - color is for 5 pages.  I told them that the printer did not complain about "Empty or replacement needed" but incompatible cartridge" as if I have used a OEM one.  What a scam...  Guess I am going to return this printer back to HP.  Wasted more than 1 hour.   He refused to connect me to his manager.  It is only 10:00 AM here in USA.

Very disappointing

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 8 of 27 (23,684 Views)

Hi LnHof

What results do you get when you check the ink levels?, as shown in Step three here

As you are seeing a message saying Incompatible Cartridge, follow the steps outlined here

If cleaning the contacts (on cartridge and in printer) and re-seating etc. does not solve the problem, then try with a new cartridge. If that solves the problem, then the original cartridge is at fault. You should then contact phone support for a replacement, as it is still under warranty (until 21Apr11)

Please let me know how you get on

Kind Regards

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 9 of 27 (23,683 Views)

Hi lilac1024,

The following document may be of use to you.

There is a note in this document which states 'HP cannot guarantee the quality of remanufactured or refilled cartridges.'

If the messages you're seeing are caused by intermittent connection between the cartridge and printer, you could try cleaning the contacts. If this doesn't work, then maybe a workaround could be to print in back-up mode (see end of the doc)

Kind Regards

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Tutor
robertpri
Message 10 of 27 (21,439 Views)

New printer, used for maybe printed 10 pages. Nothing printed for about 3 months. Tried to print today and black does not print. Color is okay. Followed HP steps to remove and clean cartridge. Removed black cartridge, and the gold colored bars are sparkling clean. Reinstalled cartridge and now get "Not Compatible" message.  The cartridge was out maybe 30 seconds, and nothing was touched.

I have removed and installed the cartridge now about 50 times. It locks in perfectly. Still says "Not compatible"

How can this be? How do I solve it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation